What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Space to build an RV-10

igorsyl

Hello, I live in an apartment building in downtown Chicago. Where could I build an RV-10 within 30miles of the city? DuPage Airport does not allow work within their hangars except for light maintenance. Storage units do not have electrical power and tend to be small (10'x20'). Until I move into a house in the suburbs with a two-car garage I'll need to find a place to build the kit. Thanks!

It's been almost 14 years since I was there, but I seem to recall there was a fairly strong experimental contingent at Clow Airport. Perhaps you could find some help there, maybe a builder with some space or at least some ideas. You could also post a classified ad looking for some shop space; maybe someone would like to rent some space out. Not highly likely but if you don't advertise you'll never know. In the meantime, you may be able to get started anyway. I built the tail feathers and wings of my RV-6A in the living room of a 2-bedroom apartment. The noisy riveting bits take up a relatively small amount of time compared to the rest of the build and can be timed to not bother the neighbors, especially if you communicate with them. You may even gain helpers that way. The tail cone and the longer -10 wings would probably have not worked in my old apartment, but the tail surfaces definitely would have. I'm just saying that you can probably get started if you are a little creative.

My neighbors and noise

I too was worried about starting and the noise on my neighbors. So i asked my neighbor. He said let me know and I will love to help. But i lucked out and a noisy neighbor just bought a big house next door and his parties are way louder than any rivet gun. Another poster built his in an apartment and he said the walls got cover in a fine metalic sheen; he had to paint the walls when he moved out. Be safe out there. I say go for it .

I've been thinking about this recently also, I would be looking at the -10. Does anybody have the minimum dimension on all the pieces? That way you could tell if it would fit thru the doorway in your basement for example.

I've been thinking about this recently also, I would be looking at the -10. Does anybody have the minimum dimension on all the pieces? That way you could tell if it would fit thru the doorway in your basement for example.

I don't have the dimensions handy, but I built 80% in my basement before moving to my 2 car garage. A single basement door you can get wings, HS, VS, and control surfaces through. The tail and fuselage are too wide. If you have a double door ~60 inches wide you can build it all, the steps are slightly wider, but you can leave them off, or slide it out on the diagonal.

Wheaton?

I live in Wheaton, with 2 garages, and have an RV-6A in a hanger at DPA. Let's talk, I'm sure we could work something out.
Mike
Six 3 zero- 9 two six- zero 3 five nine

Hello, I live in an apartment building in downtown Chicago. Where could I build an RV-10 within 30miles of the city? DuPage Airport does not allow work within their hangars except for light maintenance. Storage units do not have electrical power and tend to be small (10'x20'). Until I move into a house in the suburbs with a two-car garage I'll need to find a place to build the kit. Thanks!

You might want to check with DuPage again, new legislation says if an airport accepts any federal funding you cannot prevent someone from building along with many other changes.

I am pretty certain that they don't enforce that at DPA. I built my 6A in my garage and did final assembly on the North tie down area at DPA, including a lot of maintenance during the phase I period. They couldn't have cared less as long as the check cleared. I am now based at 06C, where they have a NO maintenance policy. However, they don't care what happens inside of a hanger. However, the inexpensive hangers have a long waiting list.

Larry

Check out Tim Olsons RV-10 build page. He has the dimensions listed of most parts.

Back