What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Change from tilt up to slider?

Gizmos

Has anyone changed a tilt up to a slider? If so, photos,material list I need to order,..any help? Thanks
I am building my rv9a and I got the rv6 that the canopy was installed bad. If I got to change the canopy, I would like to make it a slider. The plane is under construction so now is the time

This change is possible but it would require replacing all parts on the fwd fuselage that are above the main longerons, and replacing the fwd top turtle deck skin.
Then obtain all of the sliding canopy parts, and basically start over.
The fwd portion of the tip-up canopy could possibly used as the windscreen portion of the slider if you could source just the aft half (purchase one with a broken front, etc.)

This change is possible but it would require replacing all parts on the fwd fuselage that are above the main longerons, and replacing the fwd top turtle deck skin.
Then obtain all of the sliding canopy parts, and basically start over.
The fwd portion of the tip-up canopy could possibly used as the windscreen portion of the slider if you could source just the aft half (purchase one with a broken front, etc.)

Scott, would you also have to replace the top, aft skin as well?

My next door hangar neighbor converted his tip-up RV6 into a slider over last winter. It was a lot of work but he's pleased with the results and thinks it was well worth the effort now that we're about to hit triple digit summer heat here in north Texas.

Back