What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

BUS or BUSS

laz

Well Known Member
I am doing the graphics for my RV8 panel. What is the proper spelling for the electrical "bus" or "buss"? one would think that there is a correct spelling , but I have seen both on panels .

Even when googled you seem to get conflicting reports.

I use "bus" as being short for busbar. All of the electrical ref's I have use that spelling. YMMV...

I just pulled my old Shuttle Systems Handbook off the shelf behind me to confirm what we used in the program, and the Orbiter was full of "bus's", not "buss's".......so if you want to play with the big boys....use "bus". ;)

It's in the S's...

I think a lot of the spelling problem on the number of "S" for a single bus comes from the plural version.

Again, from Webster -

plural - buses also busses

Paul, how many "S" did NASA use in it's documentation when it refered to multiple busses (or buses...:)...)?

Like most words we use in the US definitions can be in the eye of the beholder. I will ultimately differ to Bob Nuckolls. Allhis diagrams seem to use BUS, not BUSS. I also checked some Aircraft manuals form my previous life. For newer I used the Airbus A320 manual, they were all BUS. Just to make sure that no overseas infulence came into play I used my Convair 580 manual form 1976. again BUS. I don't know where the BUSS came from but it is defiantly in the minority.

What started this was when a friend of mine had his panel built by a very reputable firm and they used BUSS to label the avionics and main Bus/ Buss. In my every ending desire to copy/steal other peoples ideas i immediately changed mine to BUSS on the drawings. I have now changed it back.

At the end of the day all this is really good for is a argument over an adult beverage at Oshkosh. That what makes this fun.

I just pulled my old Shuttle Systems Handbook off the shelf behind me to confirm what we used in the program, and the Orbiter was full of "bus's", not "buss's".......so if you want to play with the big boys....use "bus". ;)

I just looked in my old, old, Apollo flight handbook and it said the same.

Funny, I looked up the references too, I would have sworn it was "buss", so this is my learning for today.

Last edited:
According to Stein Both are correct and they have used both. Buss comes from Cooper Bussman who made electrical bus architecture popular.

According to my wife they both contain B an S and I should have never brought the subject up. Sorry

Moving Along...

"Condition" Inspection or "Conditional" Inspection???

Is further flight determined by condition of the equipment, or is it conditional based upon the inspection? Usage seems about evenly split on the forums. Personally, "annual" seems to make more sense/cents/since.

Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

Indeed both are sort of industry standard jargon...and if you're paying attention you'll note we keep changing our website from Bus to Buss to Bus to Buss just to keep people on their toes! Sort of like a Gray or Grey panel! :)

Cheers,
Stein

Like most words we use in the US definitions can be in the eye of the beholder. I will ultimately differ to Bob Nuckolls. Allhis diagrams seem to use BUS, not BUSS. I also checked some Aircraft manuals form my previous life. For newer I used the Airbus A320 manual, they were all BUS. Just to make sure that no overseas infulence came into play I used my Convair 580 manual form 1976. again BUS. I don't know where the BUSS came from but it is defiantly in the minority.

What started this was when a friend of mine had his panel built by a very reputable firm and they used BUSS to label the avionics and main Bus/ Buss. In my every ending desire to copy/steal other peoples ideas i immediately changed mine to BUSS on the drawings. I have now changed it back.

At the end of the day all this is really good for is a argument over an adult beverage at Oshkosh. That what makes this fun.

I had my red pen in my hand reading your post.

</Engineer Mode>

With all the contention found in so many threads on this site, the triviality of this tread makes me smile!!! :D

Back