What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Forum Search assist? (First Fill-Up)

RViter

Well Known Member
Did a number of unsuccessful forum searches --- need an assist, please.

Preparing for a first engine start, and have SkyView, Dynon EMS, and Vans resistance level sensors. Need to calibrate the fuel levels on the first fill-up, and looking for general information on procedures people have found useful for a First Fill of NEW tanks, while Calibrating Instruments for Level Sensors.

Questions such as;
1) Working with FBO Avgas folks to incrementally add, or pre-filling a bunch of 5 gal cans to self-service?
2) Filling one tank incrementally either way, and then draining (in 5 gal increments) to transfer same fuel to opposite wing tank?
3) Not wanting to run amuck with airport admin (strictly regulated hangar rules) and once tanks are filled/used don't want to be re-classified as a 'non-builder' during the completion of the airplane.
4) Anticipating the fuel load and distribution of fuel for a First Flight? (Don't think 38 gals is the way to start.)

Other considerations?
Any previous threads would be appreciated but new comments welcome.

Thanks

Did a number of unsuccessful forum searches --- need an assist, please.

Preparing for a first engine start, and have SkyView, Dynon EMS, and Vans resistance level sensors. Need to calibrate the fuel levels on the first fill-up, and looking for general information on procedures people have found useful for a First Fill of NEW tanks, while Calibrating Instruments for Level Sensors.

Questions such as;
1) Working with FBO Avgas folks to incrementally add, or pre-filling a bunch of 5 gal cans to self-service?
2) Filling one tank incrementally either way, and then draining (in 5 gal increments) to transfer same fuel to opposite wing tank?
3) Not wanting to run amuck with airport admin (strictly regulated hangar rules) and once tanks are filled/used don't want to be re-classified as a 'non-builder' during the completion of the airplane.
4) Anticipating the fuel load and distribution of fuel for a First Flight? (Don't think 38 gals is the way to start.)

Other considerations?
Any previous threads would be appreciated but new comments welcome.

Thanks

I had FBO fill right tank to top (RV-10 30.1 gal). I did not want to waste their time. Then used a 5 gal gas can to transfer 5 gal at a time to left tank, calibrating on the way. Then back to right calibrating. then moved 1/2 to left tank for first flight.
I think any of your methods will work.

I borrowed and purchased 12-5 gallon cans. I filled them with auto fuel and used this fuel to cal the sensor in the tank. I drained it out through a filter funnel purchased at Walmart, and filled my cars with the fuel. This accomplished calibration and cleaning of the tanks. I then put ten gallons in each side for the first flight. Checked my fuel flow though the electric pump etc and disposed of the used 100 ll that came out during the test.

Suggest you do your system leak test (air pressure leak down), then progressive flush, and unusable fuel testing before filling the tanks. This way, you can use the unusable fuel amount (highest of various attitudes) as the zero for tank calibration. Just leave it in the tank. Then, you can get some 5 gallon containers and begin the fill calibration. Think about grounding your fuel for handling, and how much will be sitting around during the process.

Also, will you want to calibrate a stick for later using a dip tube as a real reading of the fuel? How will you know how much fuel you put in, weight or volume? How accurate will you want to be?

The handling of the fuel may be the easy part.

Dynon fill calibration procedures call for 2-gallon pours, not 5. I bought fuel in 5-gallon jugs and did the procedure myself on one wing first, then drained that wing back into the jugs and repeated on the other wing, then drained roughly half of that and put it back in the other wing to be balanced, and used that fuel for my first flight.

I borrowed and purchased 12-5 gallon cans. I filled them with auto fuel and used this fuel to cal the sensor in the tank. I drained it out through a filter funnel purchased at Walmart, and filled my cars with the fuel. This accomplished calibration and cleaning of the tanks. I then put ten gallons in each side for the first flight. Checked my fuel flow though the electric pump etc and disposed of the used 100 ll that came out during the test.

This won't work if you are using capacitive senders, they respond differently to auto fuel than to 100LL. It will work just fine if you are using only float senders.

Good FBO

After fuel flow tests, I emptied the tanks of usable fuel with the electric fuel pump. My friendly FBO was more than happy to add 2 gals at a time while I sat in the cockpit with the AFS configuration screen. Easy-cheesy.

Thanks for all those recommendations. I'll combine the concepts and put together a procedure to incorporate 1) flush the system, 2) using 5-gal cans, 3) transferring fuel, 4) calibrations, including unusable fuel, 5) grounding, and 6) general first start and first flight considerations.

Several local RV builders made similar comments but the combination of concepts covers a lot of good points. Looks like 5-gal cans is the winner, with specific steps to accomplish efficiently.

THANKS - update to follow after first engine start

Back