What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move to the hanger

Trying photos another way

IMG_4045.jpg

IMG_4059.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

IMG_4103.jpg

Congrats. I never thought about hiring a rollback to move the plane. I was always planning on a uhaul with a lift gate. Your way seems so much easier.

Same here

I used a local shop with a roll-back as well for my RV-14A transfer. Worked great and the roll back owner had some fun as well. My plane is now on his facebook service page of interesting things hauled.
For those doing this in the future, just make sure that the roll back width is wide enough. There are different widths. The 14A needed a wider one than the standard width.

+1 for Rollback

I too used a rollback wrecker to move my -9A from my house to the hangar. Definitely the best way to go. They carry special straps to wrap around the main gear tires so there is no chance of damaging the airframe. The driver enjoyed the job and took pictures.

Excellent! Can't wait to move mine as soon as a hangar frees up in LVK. How did you move the wings and empennage parts? U-haul?

Excellent! Can't wait to move mine as soon as a hangar frees up in LVK. How did you move the wings and empennage parts? U-haul?

I just made a second trip with the tilt bed truck. Wings in a cradle, everything tied down. (You can’t appreciate how rough the right lane of 580 is until you’ve driven it in a truck.)

I just made a second trip with the tilt bed truck. Wings in a cradle, everything tied down. (You can’t appreciate how rough the right lane of 580 is until you’ve driven it in a truck.)

Taking my baby on I-580 scares the heck out of me. I want to use the back roads and one of those crawlers that they use to bring rockets to the launchpad at 1MPH.

My flatbed tow truck driver took a leisurely roll down Vineyard Ave., hung a left at Isabel, another left at Airway and Bob’s your uncle. Piece of 🍰.

My wife asked the driver if he’d ever had a job like this before. “Oh sure, had a few,” he deadpanned. Guess I was lucky finding a high-time surface pilot for the wingless bird.

We moved the wings in my utility trailer. The wing cradle I had build years previously just fit in the trailer.

Any anyone who wants the wing cradle is welcome to it if you want to come to Rhode Island and get it.
IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

Back