What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Worn locking Pin?

ExtraKatana

Well Known Member
I am a new (RV8) owner and I did my first four 3 point landings today. The first three were noneventful. The fourth, the tail wheel became full swivel. I did a zigzag down the runway as I was pinning the stick in my crotch. I did not use anywhere near full rudder as wind was down the runway and I had a high-time tail-wheel instructor in the back that re-affirmed it was not a hard landing. I owned a super decathlon for 200hrs last year and I realize the 8 requires quicker, smaller foot movements, it never did this. The owner told me (like it was a known problem and prior to this happening) sometimes the locking pin and spring gets gummed up. He lives on a dort/sod runway where the plane had been for 7 years. His premonition did not take long to manifest. Any hints or tips/tricks to keep that locking pin from popping out so readily? Any tell-tell signs that it needs replacement? The pin never did re-engage. Will dissasemble.

Last edited:
Every year you should disassemble the tailwheel and clean out the grease and dirt. The grease fitting does NOT get in there. There’s also information out there about maintaining them.. here’s a little..
https://flyboyaccessories.wordpress.com/2014/08/04/tailwheel-maintenance-documents/
You may be able to flip the steering arm, but you would be better off buying a new plunger and arm, as just a little wear makes a big difference in the way it locks up.

Force 842

Try using a dry moly lubricant like LPS Force 842 instead of grease or oil. 842 bonds with the metal (looks like dark gray paint) is very, very slick when it dries and reduces galling and collection of dirt and grass. Metal moving against metal under pressure?

Last edited:
DO NOT use Lube on it! Also very lightly deburr the edges of the pin. AND keep an extra one in the plane somewhere. Also clean it very often.
Al

When you get it apart and read the flyboy document, you will understand how it works. I likely never fit very well, mine didn't and failed like yours in 20 hrs. A little filling adjustment and some deburring to prevent recurrence and mine has been happy for a couple of years. Annual ( yearly CI) and first cleaning coming up soon.

I was afraid it was going to be finicky but it's fine with adjustment knowledge.

Back