What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sika skirts affecting aerodynamics?

Blain

Well Known Member
Used Sika on skirt to canopy intersection. Spaced out with popcycle sticks. Now I'm looking at the tail over the slider rail and it looks like it will create a disruption of flow. Of coarse once it leaves there it will hit the vert stab. Not to mention the parasitic drag it will introduce. I know the simple answer would be to blend it up the canopy but not sure how that will look.

Thinking about how small disruptions cause all sorts of mayham. Intersection fairings increasing stall speeds, etc.

What have others done?

Last edited:
I think you've answered your own question. Sika prime the plexy and sculpt in 1.25 inches up the canopy,
judging by your ruler. Custom look.

I used spacers between the canopy and the steel frame, but bonded the skirts as close to the plexi as the clecos could pull it down.
I haven't had a problem, heck, I thought I was doing the way your supposed to...
The spacers are for the different rate of thermal expansion between the steel frame & the Plexiglass canopy. I figure the thermal expansion difference between the plexi and the skirt is nil?
As for your situation; perhaps you should grind back the fiberglass & SIKA edge instead of adding fill? That fill would cover some of the canopy and reduce your visibility. If you have enough of a lap joint. grinding (sanding) back the high edge then painting would be the aesthetically cleanest way?
But really! I don't think you have a problem. 'Build On', don't worry. Your plane will fly fine. If you have a verifiable problem in the future, do some tuft testing and rethink your problem.
My canopy is noisy because I didn't build the fiberglass tape surrounding the windshield. I didn't want the drag, and I think the SIKA bond is plenty strong to the fuselage and roll bar. I'm adding some weatherstripping and using a Decibel meter. You will be able to work out a solution...if you have an actual problem.

Last edited:
No issue

I had the same thing, no issues I just accepted the thicker edge of the area. Looks fine and no aerodynamic issue.

Cheers

You did a nice job. I like how it came out.
I bought some white SIKKA by mistake, but I used it anyway. Black SIKKA on the canopy, white on the windshield. :(
I'm thinking about painting the exposed areas with black latex paint on the supposition that it's flexible and easy to apply, plus clean up with water in case I drool on the rest of the plane...

Do you think latex will adhere?
I had some sort of weird reaction between the Sika and the masking adhesive. Sork of a black slime on the surface. Will wait a week or so for the urathane to cure then wipe will mineral spirits.

Back