What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

N967BT makes it to 2000 hours!

tommylewis

Well Known Member
On March 21, 2007, Mel inspected N967BT and deemed her air worthy. Today, 14 years and 3 days later she turned over 2000 hours while descending back into her home field of Pecan Plantation. It has been a great ride and Bonnie and I have seen a lot of country during those flights. Got a new Lycoming on order but she is running so good not sure when we will make the change.

A5FD1D00-B7C4-49C2-A600-C97C4496465A.jpeg

Congratulations Tom! You've been inspiration for years! I still have places you visited on my bucket list.

EB

Mike, 143EB is doing great, it now has 1010 hours on it, 830 since we bought it 11 years ago. I swapped out the Lightspeed for a PMAG this winter so I keep making changes to it.

take care Mike

Mike, 143EB is doing great, it now has 1010 hours on it, 830 since we bought it 11 years ago. I swapped out the Lightspeed for a PMAG this winter so I keep making changes to it.

take care Mike

Sounds good, glad you are getting use from it. I will let Steve know too.

If you ever get back out this way, stop in. Guest room waiting.

Just in case you were not aware, we now live in Danton NV. A34 is airport designation.

Congrats Tom & Bonnie!!!! Welcome to the club.

I still "...want to be just like Tom & Bonnie when I grow up."

See ya' soon, somewhere.

Thanks

Thanks everyone, the RV experience has been great! I find it interesting to note the number of higher time RVs showing up with posts on VAF. They are a great planes and we have certainly enjoyed flying ours around the country. As we used to say, keep pounding those rivets!

Our plans for flights include Florida in a couple weeks, then NH in June, then Black Hills by end of June, then Oshkosh, then Glacier, then Driggs, then Jackson Hole, then back to Black Hills, before back to NH and back to TX by end of Sept. Gonna keep flying as long as our health holds out!

The Valkyrie is only about 20 hours behind you Tom - but we’ve got five total airplanes to divide into two pilots, so each one gets less.....

Congrats on the milestone! Here’s to another 2,000 in short order.

That's a very cool milestone, Congrats! Why did you order a new engine? Any signs that it has to be replaced in not so far away future?

No signs

No signs of engine issues, oil analysis looks great, compressions holding mid 70s, bore scope of exhaust cylinders look good, oil consumption running 6-7 hours per quart. At my age, I do not want our 7 to be down for months waiting for an engine overhaul or a new engine. I am going to swap engines next fall and sell current engine. I just don’t want our 7 out of service any longer than necessary.

N967BT gets new engine

After 2154 hours of flying, we have started the process of installing new IO360M1B in our RV7A. Got prop back from overhaul and will install it soon. Had PMAGs checked out. Waiting on MT prop governor overhaul to finish up install and get her back in the air. Maybe our Xmas present.

Attachments

• 5575ABA0-F826-401C-9C2F-0E4B6619C04D.jpg
    5575ABA0-F826-401C-9C2F-0E4B6619C04D.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 710B7736-2E7E-4012-838A-7ED1C0F2EACB.jpg
    710B7736-2E7E-4012-838A-7ED1C0F2EACB.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 188
Looks good, were you starting to have issues with the old engine, or just a precautionary change out?

it was time

Hi Mike, w flew it 26 hours in Sept and came home with the plan it change to the new engine because I turned 75 this fall and am still able to change it, and want to fly behind this new engine for the rest of my flying days. It has been a great engine with 2154 hours over 15 years.

New engine flys!

The MT prop governor finally arrives so the engine installation of a Lycoming Thunderbolt IO360M1B in N967BT is complete! Everything firewall forward has been overhauled or is new. It took 2 months. Two days ago I did first engine start and ran for 4-5 minutes to check for leaks. Then did high power run while tied to a tree. Yesterday I did the first flight around the pattern at 75% power for an hour. Flew at 2000 agl, temp was 42 degrees. Cylinder 4 was the hottest at CHT of 380. After about 15-20 minutes CHT’s started to drop and leveled off at 340. It is a smooth running engine!! After landing, pulled cowling and inspected. Ready for next flight when weather improves. So after 15.5 years and 2154 hours of flying, N967BT is ready for another 15 years.

Attachments

• A877D8FF-2305-4F76-BD17-CC7F61384A9D.jpg
    A877D8FF-2305-4F76-BD17-CC7F61384A9D.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 115
  • 99700709-2242-4186-8B5C-735D3C548666.jpg
    99700709-2242-4186-8B5C-735D3C548666.jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 132
congrats on your flying milestones. at 69 yo I am getting to my TBO of my second engine. time to consider the same as you are doing. I did the sell and swap also. just curious what you got for the old engine. in 2007 I sold my old engine fro $8,000. it was making metal in the cam lifter area. car on my friend.
DSC8070.jpg

Before Van came along, not many homebuilt aircraft ever made it to 2000 hours.

That's flying to the moon, and 1/2 way back.......:eek:

Congrats!

This is great!

The MT prop governor finally arrives so the engine installation of a Lycoming Thunderbolt IO360M1B in N967BT is complete! Everything firewall forward has been overhauled or is new. It took 2 months. Two days ago I did first engine start and ran for 4-5 minutes to check for leaks. Then did high power run while tied to a tree. Yesterday I did the first flight around the pattern at 75% power for an hour. Flew at 2000 agl, temp was 42 degrees. Cylinder 4 was the hottest at CHT of 380. After about 15-20 minutes CHT’s started to drop and leveled off at 340. It is a smooth running engine!! After landing, pulled cowling and inspected. Ready for next flight when weather improves. So after 15.5 years and 2154 hours of flying, N967BT is ready for another 15 years.

progress

It is really a relief to have this new engine installed and flying. We have flown 3 one hour flights and everything is going well. I am excited about the future flights with this "new" machine!

Turbo - I have not sold the old engine yet, figured I would wait until after the holidays and our Jan vacation trip first two weeks. Been checking prices and am surprised at what engines are priced at.

Merry Christmas everyone, as we have said before, keep pounding those rivets!

Turbo - I have not sold the old engine yet, figured I would wait until after the holidays and our Jan vacation trip first two weeks. Been checking prices and am surprised at what engines are priced at.

Keep us in the loop Tom. If you can. I need to sell my old engine as well. It's a high time one but still flying and burning 1 qt every 7-10 hours. Probably will price at half of yours or Turbo's :)

Back