What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Some help for a Rocket (lite) builder?

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I purchased the RV14 battery "boxes" for a firewall mount applications on an F4 build; four cylinder Rocket so I need the battery weight forward for CG/W&B. This will be an easy application because the FW horizontal stiffener and equipment well joints are a convenient vertical distance apart to match the mount. Not my first rodeo. Simple right?

The boxes are formed from a lighter gage than I would have guessed. No issue. I trust the engineering but the back side is prepunched for AN 4 rivets and eth material definitely isn't 050 thick. Then the doubt crept in. Has to be countersunk to not wear on the battery case. Surely Vans wouldn't apply fasteners where the CS dims are greater than the material thickness. Mic'd the material and surprise, it's 043 which makes for an "acceptable" CS app for #4s.

Sorry for the short story made long but now I'm questioning everything. Do the RV14 drawings call for the assumed AN426-4 to attach the subject boxes to the firewall?

Any help, drawing reference, etc. would be monstrously appreciated.

plans call for an426 4-4 where it is just going through the skin...4-6 where it goes through the firewall frame.

Someone asked

Someone PM'd and asked. Can only add links in PM's versus attach photos; so, here is my Rocket adaptation of the 14 battery boxes. One of the simpler adaptations for this build as I could pick-up the firewall cross support and the rudder pedal hangers on the cold side. Thx to 14'ers for the help; PM'd 14 plan pages, etc. Saved me a lot of time.

Scott F

Attachments

• IMG_7213.jpg
    IMG_7213.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 120
Back