- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:17 PM

Default Elevator balancing question

Need some help regarding my right elevator. Since Iím waiting for my wing kit to arrive, I decided to paint sections as I go. I balanced the elevator by drilling out some lead from the fairing-side counter weight to achieve a slightly nose down balance - knowing the paint would add some weight. Well, I took out way too much lead and now Iím nose high. The paint was heavier than I thoughtÖ

I can get balanced with adding approximately 90-100 grams of lead at the location of the lead weight.

I did not use a nut plate (on the fairing side) to install the counterweights - itís bolted on and safety wired - not an option to take off the current counterweight.

Solutions Iíve thought of but donít love:

1: Drill a hole in the fairing and add an epoxy (and maybe some ground up lead) slurry, put it nose down and hope it adheres to the fairing appropriately. Would be near impossible to fix if it didnít adhere. Also, fixing the hole would be a pain now that itís almost done being painted.

2: Pop rivet a bracket next to the current counterweight, fill with epoxy flux and then add lead until itís balanced. I included an example picture of a bracket taped to the location it would probably go. My concern is that if the pop rivets ever failed or the epoxy came loose, the control surface could jam.

3: Do nothing. Take comfort that I got one elevator balanced and build on.

Is there an easier way to balance an elevator? How should I proceed? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right elevator.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	23897  Click image for larger version

Name:	sample bracket.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	23898  

Ocean Springs, MS
RV-14A
Old 03-25-2022, 05:44 PM

Default balancing ideas

There are self-adhesive lead weights for balancing alloy wheels, perhaps that is a solution, with added pulled rivets for extra security?
If the paint was applied too thick then it could be wet sanded and buffed (if 2K single stage) to reduce the weight.
Building RV-6A #22320 O-320 FP. Wings and tail complete, fuselage almost done, working on canopy.
Flying my Aeroprakt A-22 STOL and the aero club's RV-9A while I build
Old 03-25-2022, 05:51 PM

Contact Van's. Mass balance weights are critical and you can't mess around with them.

Dave
Old 03-25-2022, 06:16 PM

What I had done here, prior to closing the cap, installed two additional nut plates for this purpose.
Instead of pop rivet, I suggest using rivnut, perhaps in the same pattern at the original weight. Then you can use drilled bolt to attach the weight and then safety wire it.
N258SM RV14A - IO390EXP119 - Out of Paint shop & flying
Dues paid
Old 03-25-2022, 08:07 PM

Go to any good golf club store and buy some lead weights that are used when making clubs to set swing weight.

https://www.golfworks.com/swingweighting-supplies/c/21/

The small lead cylindrical weights, or the tungsten powder can be used to weight up the tip of your light elevator counterbalance. They also have sticky lead flat pieces like tape, that go on the sole of the golf club to alter swing weight that could be easily stuck on in your chosen location, and maybe some extra epoxy to be sure it stays there. You can drill a hole near the tip of the counterbalance, add the weight, and then re-epoxy it closed and finish sand. Keeping the added weight as far forward as possible will lessen the amount of weight you need to add. You shouldnít need much.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022
Old 03-25-2022, 09:09 PM

So you didn't install the platenut ... How about installing a rivnut at that location? This would achieve the same result as if the platenut were there.

Also, you could blind rivet weights at the platenut location....

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring and Avionics harness completed 9/2/2021
FWF Started 9/3/2021

Donated for 2022 and so should you

Last edited by mfleming : 03-25-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-26-2022, 04:41 AM

Default Lead shot

You could add lead shot in the holes you drilled out and use epoxy to hold it in, that is if enough lead shot can be added to make up the weight you require
Old 03-26-2022, 07:11 AM

Default RE: Elevator Balancing Question

I am very curious why there are no RV-14 recommendations for 1. The weight of the elevator counterweights, and 2. How the elevator should be balanced with no load (on the ground). Is this similar to other Vanís models?
She built the hangar, I built the airplane. Best wife ever!
Second aluminum beauty is a 2017 30' Airstream Classic
Old 03-26-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyuh60 View Post
I am very curious why there are no RV-14 recommendations for 1. The weight of the elevator counterweights, and 2. How the elevator should be balanced with no load (on the ground). Is this similar to other Vanís models?
The amount if weight required will vary with paint weight so there is not set amount you can recommend. You add enough weight to balance.

One could mix lead shot with epoxy to fill the holes. One can also pour lead into plaster of paris molds to make any shape you want. It is very easy to work with.
Instagram @sblack2154
Old 03-26-2022, 06:28 PM

Thanks all. Gonna try to place a couple of rivnuts and then add weight (maybe a tungsten or lead powder mixed with epoxy) secured by AN bolts that I can safety wire. Would definitely add a platenut next timeÖ

Ocean Springs, MS
RV-14A