What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New member - looking for intro to RV-4 in Tulsa, OK

cfitzgerald

I'm New Here
I suppose it is customary to introduce yourself when joining a new forum. So, in keeping with custom, here goes. I am an airplane addict living in Tulsa, OK. I grew up traveling in small airplanes with my family, and obtained my PPL at 17. Now, I am passing the joy of aviation on to my wife and children - my wife got her PPL a couple years ago and my oldest child should be working on his PPL this time next year.

My father and I own a Baron 58. It's a fabulous traveling airplane for my family of four. However, now I want add a more economical, fun airplane that all four of us can enjoy flying. (My wife has some Bonanza time, but has no interest in getting her multi-engine.) I am looking for: tandem seating, a tailwheel that tailwheel newbies can handle, a stick, reasonable performance, less than 10 gph, and aerobatic capability.

For some time I have been looking for a Super Decathlon. However, it has been very difficult to find a nice one for sale that is reasonably priced. (If anyone knows of one, please let me know. My budget is $70K or less.) Recently, I have been considering an RV-4 (completed) instead. I think it meets all of my criteria, though I would appreciate thoughts on how appropriate it is for new tailwheel pilots.

I also would like to see one in person. If you are in, or will be in, the Tulsa area and would look to show your RV-4 off to me, please let me know - I would love to see it.

If you can't help me out with that request, perhaps you could help by giving your thoughts on how whether I'm looking at the right plane. Yes, I know this is somewhat like asking a group of OU fans whether the Sooners would be a good football team to root for. But I do know some objective OU fans (both of them), and in my experience, pilots on message boards are not usually bashful about telling someone they are making a mistake.

With that, I hope some of you will welcome me and introduce me and my family to the RV world.

Craig

Welcome Craig! Don't leave out the RV-8 from your search. The 4 is arguably a single seat airplane with a seat in the baggage area. This site is the Mecca of all things Vans and beyond.

Best of luck in your search.

PS-I used to work at Christiansen as a line boy. Good to see you here.

RV-4

I started building an RV-4 in 1984 that I finished in 1988. I flew that aircraft for over 1,400 hours, then built an RV-9A that I completed in 2003. I built the RV-9A because my wife was taking flight lessons and it would be a more appropriate aircraft for her to fly. When she decided to not completed her PPL, I sold the aircraft and purchased another RV-4 that I was involved in since it was started. This -4 has an 0-360 and Hartzell constant speed. Combined I have about 2,000 hours in RV-4s.

When I test flew my first -4, I had never landed a taildragger solo. I believe the aircraft is as forgiving as any taildragger built. I would strongly recommend an RV-4 provided the pilot is not too large and weighs a reasonable amount for their height. Van was about 6 feet and never had a problem. Buying a used, -4 is about the best bang for the buck.

A reasonable weight pilot can safely and pretty comfortably accommodate a passenger up to 200 with a constant speed prop.

I converted my -4 to a fastback and could not be happier.

Plenty of RV's at Riverside

If you want to look at an 8 there are two in the North West T hangers at Riverside and there are also some on the East side. If you are interested I can hook you up with one of the owners. I am not sure about a 4 on the field but there are number in the Tulsa area. There is also a very active EAA chapter at Gundy's where you could find out if there is one for sale.

Thanks, Dave. Received a pm from someone at RVS. I am going to get with him about some introductions to guys with RVs there. If I need to, I'll check back with you.

Back