What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight's Synthetic Vision Test Flight

genelee59

A couple days ago I'd purchased Foreflight's brand new Synthetic Vision add-on, so when the rain finally stopped I took to the skies, eager to give it a try.

I hadn't set out to make a video of this, but since I'd captured some of the views with a GoPro that I happen to have on board, I thought I'd pass on at least this 'First Look' at the exciting new feature.

In Summary... I'm Impressed! :D

I made a short video to show what it looked like on the iPad compared to out the window

http://www.thehdpilot.com/blog-article.aspx?id=40

I've been trying it out all day and think it is fabulous. It is amazing what their team has brought to a relatively cheap portable electronic device.

I hooked it up to a friends PC (via the FSX Flight plugin) as he ran FSX flight simulator and it gave an awesome view of exactly what it will look like when using it in the airplane.

Of course we were visiting all of the mountain airports as they had more features than here at home.

Very happy to see that it works without the Stratus 2. I would not purchase the add-on otherwise.

So is Wingx and they have made it free for their customers.

Just for completeness Naviator also has Syn Vis and it's included in the basic price. I can't give any pireps on it though because for some unexplicable reason the SynVis doesn't work on Samsung devices. It's a known bug but hasn't been addressed yet.

So what does the foreflight Synthetic vision recognize. We are running our Dynon 10" skyview with adhrs and a backup D2 Dyno(with wifi) but the synthetic vision foreflight doesn't recognize the D2 so it won't use its information, which is bullcrap,

Back