What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airborne just before the sun came up.

EdH

Well Known Member
It was dark when he arrived at the hangar...

Van's RV-8 G-JBTR by Ed Hicks, on Flickr

...but when the sun came up, it was beautiful.

The Cu-Nims kept their distance...

...as the fog rolled through the valley's below.

Bob remembered when the first kit arrived...

..."Lots of parts, probably seven years before I'll be done.".

In fact it was a bit over five...

...and he was surprised by an award (two in fact), when he was done.

But that was never Bob's intention...

...it was just about a dream pair of wings,

...on which he could enjoy the skies,

...come rain or shine.

It was one heck of a journey...

...and the biggest project he'd ever undertaken.

But right now, Bob knew it was worth it.

Great Photos!

Every couple of weeks I see a wonderful image on the VAF site, and I change my Desktop Screen shot. The second image from this set is awesome! Just love the plane coming through the sunlight. I think this shot will stay on my desktop screen for awhile. Thanks for sharing.

Multiple winners ...

...a gorgeous aircraft and a very talented photographer. My hat's off to both builder and photog. Thanks for sharing!

Vans calendar

Those are some awesome photos. I sense an opening in Vans calendar for this one.

Edit: Seems Kelly beat me to the punch line by a couple of minutes. Like minds :)

It was always my dream at the end of this amazing journey to have the plane photographed by Ed Hicks, who in my opinion is the best aviation photographer in the UK, and I think you'll agree he has done me, the aircraft and himself proud.

I also want to send a big thanks to Barry Gwynnett for leading the formation in his RV-8 and without whom this photo shoot could not have taken place at this magical opportunity of time, light and weather.

Whilst I am on the thank you's I would also like to thank my friend Simon, my Inspector Gary Waters, my test pilot Andy Hill, members of my shift at work, local pilots, my painter Mick Allen and his sons Shay and Ty, my sons Toby and Robin and last, but definitely no means least, my lovely wife Jill who all played such an important part in achieving my dream.

I hope this series of wonderful photos inspires builders that this is what is to come and you are building a truly wonderful and fun aeroplane.

Those are the best air to air RV photos I've seen. How about some info on the camera, lens, filter setup?

Astonishing! Looks like my desktop will be getting a new paint job as well when I get to work. Excellent job in capturing something very inspirational. These photos are worth well over a "thousand words".

Congrats!!

As everyone else has said, just simply fantastic photos.

I am willing to bet they show up on the VAF front page tomorrow.

Thanks to all for the kind comments. Shooting RV's is what I've always enjoyed doing the most, so when you get a session like this with great pilots, good weather and lovely backgrounds, it's a real joy.

Every couple of weeks I see a wonderful image on the VAF site, and I change my Desktop Screen shot. The second image from this set is awesome! Just love the plane coming through the sunlight. I think this shot will stay on my desktop screen for awhile. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Peter, there are 1800 pixel wide versions available on my Flickr page, here's a link to your favourite, I hope you enjoy it.

Wow...what was the photo plane?

Thanks Pierre, I was shooting from the back seat of an RV-8.

Those are the best air to air RV photos I've seen. How about some info on the camera, lens, filter setup?

Thanks Rob, that's extremely kind. The kit is nothing particularly special - Nikon D7000 and an 18-200 lens, no filters, gyros or other gizmos. No cropping in Photoshop afterwards either - I always try and shoot it right. Lighting and scenery courtesy of Mother Nature.

It was always my dream at the end of this amazing journey to have the plane photographed by Ed Hicks, who in my opinion is the best aviation photographer in the UK, and I think you'll agree he has done me, the aircraft and himself proud.

My pleasure Bob - you are way too kind - there are plenty of other great guys in the UK, so I'll take that as a true compliment. Thanks for asking me to shoot your superb machine, it was an honour.

Here's some others I didn't include earlier, but still love.

Ed and Bob

Lovely aeroplane Bob, the awards were justified. Fantastic photos Ed.

I particularly like the fog filled valleys, it's been a while since I last saw the English countryside like that, sigh

Amazing pictures. Surely the best RV8's we could find. Very good job for the photographer and for the builder.

Absolutely stunning! Well done Bob and Ed.

Was this a magazine shoot?

I know Ed is a keen RV guy and an excellent photographer. Could it be that the chase plane was another RV-8?

I think I recognise the scenery around Milford Haven, and the Pembrokeshire coast.

Is it too late for the Van's calendar?

I know Ed is a keen RV guy and an excellent photographer. Could it be that the chase plane was another RV-8?

I think I recognise the scenery around Milford Haven, and the Pembrokeshire coast.

Correct Sir, Pembrokeshire and an RV 8 camera ship.

Thanks Mark. Bob asked me to shoot his RV to complete his building journey, so it's not intended for any magazine.

I did drop an e-mail to Ken Scott at Van's, so he knows one of them is available if he wants it. -8's are the most commonly submitted calendar shots though, so it may not warrant a slot.

The camera plane was another RV-8. Barry Gwynett volunteered his Swansea-based machine for the task.

RV-8 G-EGRV by Ed Hicks, on Flickr

Welcome to VAF!!

Barry,
welcome.gif
to the good ship VAF!!!

Good to have you here.:D

Wow!

I just got in the door from buying my paint. Checked in and saw these incredible pictures.

I'm pretty motivated these days anyway, but these pictures certainly add fuel to the fire.

Great job Ed!

Amazing pictures of a beautiful plane. I took a quick break at work for my daily VAF front page news, and suddenly time stood still as I looked at those pictures. You were able to capture the spirit of why we fly. Thank you for the brief release from "the tyranny of petty things"...

Sunrise....in the UK?

Wow, I didn't know you folks had such a thing as sunrise in the UK :rolleyes:

Very pretty.

You were able to capture the spirit of why we fly
You have hit the nail on the head Jason and I am so pleased about the effect they are having.

The Editor of the UK Light Aircraft Association magazine (Brian Hope) once quoted "To fly is to know, it is in itself the reason and the justification". My Christmas present this year will be a glossy photo story book of this shoot and I think that I'll join the two quotes together to make the introduction ....

"To fly is to know, it is in itself the reason and the justification and through these photos Ed has captured the spirit of why we fly."

Bob

Brian's the editor for the LLA mag now? I think he did a short stint when it was the PFA.

I used to be based out of Stoneacre/Farthing Corner(in north Kent)with him.

Tell him Roger Hardley thinks your RV should get a feature of it's own.

It might have some 'weight' then again it might not ;)

To echo everyone else - truly awesome photos, Ed! I would have loved to do a photo shoot like that back when I had my RV-4. I'm curious as to what the formation looked like to get photos such as the one above? Photo ship in straight and level flight with the subject banking towards you at he flies past?

Tell him Roger Hardley thinks your RV should get a feature of it's own.
Roger I had an article in this months mag before the shoot took place but was more of a builders perspective/lessons learned article than the actual build itself. It also has a dodgy cover of some RV-8 pilot ;)

I'm curious as to what the formation looked like to get photos such as the one above?
The photo ship was in straight and level and I was in echelon stepped slightly down with fore/aft seperation. I then banked away briefly from the lead and then reversed rapidly passing into the 6 oclock to recover back to rejoin.

Simply Beautiful, Ed!

Wow, Ed! These are some of the best air-to-air shots I have ever seen.

Does shooting through the curved canopy as opposed to, say, through an open window present any problems? Do you have to use a shade between the end of your lens and the canopy to prevent glare and reflections?

Superb inspiration for all of us pounding rivets (as I know you are too).

Thanks,

Matt
Slow build RV-9 - still on those darn wings...

Roger I had an article in this months mag before the shoot took place but was more of a builders perspective/lessons learned article than the actual build itself. It also has a dodgy cover of some RV-8 pilot ;)

Ah, so you're already famous. :D

If you ever meet him, Brian's a nice guy, very down to earth.

That's the most motivational set of photos I have had the pleasure of viewing in a long time. My congratulations to both the builder and photographer!

Pressing the like on the photos

Wow, I must press the like button on theses photos too. The light is just right and the clarity outstanding. Thank you for sharing these.

Great plane and great photography!

Would love to hear more on the photography technique. The prop disc suggests a relatively slow shutter speed (the 3 blade prop helped). However, the shots are very sharp despite the vibration of the platform. Also, with the zoom level that was apparently used it had to be even more difficult to hold things steady. What ISO was used?

I am also interested in how you shot through the canopy.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Would love to hear more on the photography technique. The prop disc suggests a relatively slow shutter speed (the 3 blade prop helped). However, the shots are very sharp despite the vibration of the platform. Also, with the zoom level that was apparently used it had to be even more difficult to hold things steady. What ISO was used?

Just follow the links to Flicker, select the original version, right-click on it and save it to your local drive. Once here, right-click on the picture file and look for the Details tab, you should find everything the camera has to say about its own settings during the shot.
HTH

To echo everyone else - truly awesome photos, Ed! I would have loved to do a photo shoot like that back when I had my RV-4. I'm curious as to what the formation looked like to get photos such as the one above? Photo ship in straight and level flight with the subject banking towards you at he flies past?

Thanks Ryan. Like Bob said, we're cruising in the same direction, and he broke away then reversed. I picked my moment to get the shot with "clean" control deflections. It's something I only consider doing with good formation pilots who really understand what I'm after. Bob was totally on it in terms of performing the manoeuvre, which helped me get a great shot.

It works in various positions, depending on the photo platform. This was shot from a 172.

Miles Whitney Straight by Ed Hicks, on Flickr

Wow, Ed! These are some of the best air-to-air shots I have ever seen.

Does shooting through the curved canopy as opposed to, say, through an open window present any problems? Do you have to use a shade between the end of your lens and the canopy to prevent glare and reflections?

Superb inspiration for all of us pounding rivets (as I know you are too).

Thanks,

Matt
Slow build RV-9 - still on those darn wings...

Thanks Matt. Yes, the canopy can cause issues, but practice has taught me what areas work, and which don't. I don't use any form of hood between lens and perspex - it would cause more problems than I'm ever trying to solve. Whereever possible, I'll shoot through an open window, but I enjoy not being frozen on the occasions when I'm "inside"!

I will say, that Airplane Plastics seem to consistently make optically superb canopies. I've shot from a lot of -8's over the years and always had great results.

That's the most motivational set of photos I have had the pleasure of viewing in a long time. My congratulations to both the builder and photographer!

Thanks Buck. Consider the motivation a trade - I have learnt a lot from your build log that has helped my current project.

Thanks Tony. There's nothing too special about the technique. I usually work shutter priority, and keep the speeds low - I dislike stopped props as much as the rest of the pilot population. The early light nature of the "golden prop disk" shot meant a low shutter speed and ISO 800.

As to sharpness, I'm always super-conscious of vibration, so avoid contact with bits of aircraft interior. I also make good use of muscle control in my arms and torso - the body can do a good job of vibration control.

Last edited:
Just before Christmas, Bob surprised me by sending me a copy of a book he made using photos from our sunrise shoot.

P1010446.jpg

P1010447.jpg

Back