Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-07-2022, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Say it ain't so.
Ha! Bill, you make too good of a plenum!
Flying N376E
Old 01-08-2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwoodrv9 View Post
I have both sides of my oil cooler taped with AL tape. Today I worked the plane hard with full climbs from 1500' to 500' and flew for 1.3 hours. My highest oli temp was 141 degrees. My cylinder temps were all in the 350-360 range and exhaust mostly was in the 1350 range with a top of 1450.

I havent taped off the inlets since my cylinder temps are ok. Any ideas to help make the oil hotter? Outside of moving the much needed muffler heat muff to blast onto the oil cooler rather than my frozen feet Im not sure what else to do.
The main goal of getting the oil hot is to help remove moisture from the oil. While the conventional wisdom is 180F is a magic number at the oil temperature sensor, oil in other parts of the engine will go well above the oil sensor temperature. The moisture in that oil will vaporize, and be blown out the breather.

If you fly for an hour the way you have, at the temperatures you saw, you have accomplished the goal of getting the moisture in the oil hot enough to evaporate. When you land, I recommend opening the oil filler to let the residual moisture out, and then running an engine dryer.

Please send him a bit of money so he can keep providing food and essentials to civilians affected by the war.
Old 01-08-2022, 06:47 AM

System schematic, and viscosity valve information. Full control of oil flow requires a ball valve in the line from accessory case to cooler, the removal of the vernatherm (retain the cap of course), and the installation of the spring and plunger.

I've added a new schematic for the above, last post.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...ad.php?t=45548
Old 05-15-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarne View Post
I definitely wouldn't put it aft of the oil cooler. People have tried it before and there is still enough air circulation on the oil cooler that you won't be able to get the oil to 180 if it is on the back. Unfortunately if you want it to work right it has to go between the cooler and the baffle.

I suppose on the back side it would certainly be better than nothing but I seem to recall a thread awhile back where even then people couldn't get it above 180. Below is what mine looks like for reference. Gaps have since been sealed and the cable bent for security.
I decided that installing the oil shutter on the back of the oil cooler wasn't the best choice, so I found an even easier alternative....I just had my A&P/IA do it while he was doing my CI. He charged me $150 (I bought the shutter from AntiSplat), which I thought was a good deal. It's a very nice install...he brought the Bowden cable through the firewall and the knob sits next to my air/heat/ALT air knobs.

It works well...cable moves easily without binding. Yesterday, it was 70 degrees OAT, I pulled the shutter fully closed and was able to get the temps up to 200F. Fully open I was getting 150F.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	25839  
AFS 5400/3500, G5, IFD440 navigator,
bunch of other stuff
Old 05-15-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
I decided that installing the oil shutter on the back of the oil cooler wasn't the best choice, so I found an even easier alternative....I just had my A&P/IA do it while he was doing my CI. He charged me $150 (I bought the shutter from AntiSplat), which I thought was a good deal. It's a very nice install...he brought the Bowden cable through the firewall and the knob sits next to my air/heat/ALT air knobs.

It works well...cable moves easily without binding. Yesterday, it was 70 degrees OAT, I pulled the shutter fully closed and was able to get the temps up to 200F. Fully open I was getting 150F.
Mac this is almost identical to my setup. Works awesome doesn't it! I may need to take mine off sometime in the next year and clean it up a bit though, it is starting to get a bit tight, probably from dirt/dust.

P.S. You might need to trim that corner so it doesn't hit the cowl, although your baffles may have more clearance already.