What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with Exhaust Pipe Adjustment

ntspdy

The exhaust pipes on my -8 are a bit close to the belly and I’m trying to adjust them to get them more close to centered. After unhooking everything I tried several times to get the pipe to mov with no luck. Has anyone adjusted these types of pipes before? Any ideas? Here’s a pic of the joint I need to adjust. It appears it should be able to swivel.

Attachments

• 633ACF21-EA02-4AA1-B454-08E8C9B6758D.jpg
    633ACF21-EA02-4AA1-B454-08E8C9B6758D.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 154
So I'm installing a brand new exhaust. These joints when brand new are so stiff, I didn't know they moved. I've been advised to use Mouse Milk to free them up. Apparently one is supposed to use this lubricant regularly on operational exhausts.

Looks like Mouse Milk or something similar is in your future ;)

About 8 years ago I found myself in the same situation, both exhaust joints were seized at 470hrs. Your lack of swivel might be the same thing. My solution was to take the two halves of the exhaust off the engine and a couple of hours work with a wire brush got them freed up. Since then I have given the exhaust joints a flush with mouse milk whenever the cowl is off and they remain freely swivelling after another 500 hrs.

Last edited:
My ball joints were too tight and I ended up breaking the exhaust where it entered the heat muff. This of course happened along way from home. Solution was a complete reweld. Keep the ball joints loose and well lubricated, mouse milk at regular intervals works great.

Keeping those pivot joints free is an AD on the Bellanca Viking and probably many other certified A/C.

So are these joints intended to move freely while engine running? I have never really understood their purpose except to aim the pipe where you want?

I mouse milk mine a lot but they have been stiff since day one. I can move the joint but it doesn't move like a 20 year old elbow.:)

Back