What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

4130 and other metals

Pilot135pd

Well Known Member
So I'm rebuilding my carb heat box flap (closes off filtered air and allows exhaust heated air to the carb) and apparently it hadn't been maintained or inspected since 1968.

As you can see in the pictures I need to fabricate a new shaft to hold that flap. I bought new bearings and now need to buy the metal rod. Everything I find online shows 4130 and locally they didn't even tell me the metal number, they just told me that it's hard enough and will do fine.

Since all this does is when it's cold before you land you pull the cable and the flap opens, then when you land you close it, why would that shaft material have to be so strong?

Attachments

• IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0555.jpg
    IMG_0555.jpg
    471.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0558.jpg
    IMG_0558.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 5.14.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-07 at 5.14.01 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
Yes I went there but they didn't have the correct diameter. A local steel company has it, just $6 for a 20' long stick so I guess when it wears out again I'll have plenty to fabricate another one :D

I'm just wanting input regarding the strength. Does it have to be a stronger metal or is the worst that can happen that I have to fabricate another one in a few years because this one wears in the same place with the bearings like the current shaft did?

And this is for your Cessna C-177 Cardinal? You are making new parts without even doing a metallurgical or hardness test on the old part? Why wouldn't you buy the actual part from Cessna?

Because I like to learn. If it were a landing gear I'd buy an original part but when a 1968 part costs over $2,500 you can bet I'm going to research a owner produced part as per the FAA Regulations.

By asking experienced builders here I can learn about these things. When my IA comes this weekend I can show what I have and if she's ok with it then it's a go. If not then we move on to step 2.

Why use unspecified material??

I usually get 4130 from Spruce by the foot. 5/16" is . . . . well you can figure that. And . . make a machined bushing to match if 0.005" of diameter is critical. Personally, I would not hesitate to use 4130 since it will depend on the weld of the pivot arm to the end. Get some 4130 flat stock for that too.

5/16" rod is $2.64 at Spruce. First class mail and it is at your door.

There are some 4130 pivot pins on my Kubota now. It is cold rolled, stronger, and harder - -precision diameter- just do it.

It will be better than a big nail.

YI'm just wanting input regarding the strength. Does it have to be a stronger metal or is the worst that can happen that I have to fabricate another one in a few years because this one wears in the same place with the bearings like the current shaft did?

Given hardness to resist wear was the real interest, readily available 4130 was the better choice. It's an air-hardening steel. Heat it, quench it, and you get high hardness.

That's the info I'm looking for. I'll call the local company to see exactly what they have, they have to know what kind of metal they're selling, it's a big multi state company. If not then Aircraft Spruce it is. Thanks.

Because I like to learn. If it were a landing gear I'd buy an original part but when a 1968 part costs over $2,500 you can bet I'm going to research a owner produced part as per the FAA Regulations.

By asking experienced builders here I can learn about these things. When my IA comes this weekend I can show what I have and if she's ok with it then it's a go. If not then we move on to step 2.

here is what your IA should know. one part of an owner manufactured part for a certified aircraft, is that it must conform to the original approved design data. what does that mean? it must be made the same as the original part, same dimensions, same material. so, do you have the manufacturers drawing of the part calling out the dimensions and materials? if not, then you must duplicate that part, dimensions are not hard to do, a certified caliper and set of mics will get that done. the materials are another story, without the manufactures drawing, the only really legal way to do it is to pay a lab to analyze the material and determine what alloy it is.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

You can buy steel rod by the foot at McMaster Carr. Aircraft Spruce has 4130 by the foot, too. 4130 isn't all that special, but is stronger than "mild steel". Both are easily weldable.

Ed Holyoke

Back