What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

DIY ScotchBrite Floor Deburring "Grinder"

HFS

Well Known Member
This tool gets used for smoothing the edges of a lot more sheet metal parts than just those airplane related.

2 - 6 x 2 ScotchBrite wheels. 1 - Medium & 1 - Fine

Regular on/off switch as well as a momentary foot control - for those "mini" jobs.

A polishing wheel (resting in pocket in frame) can be installed when shining up stainless screws, etc.

3/4 HP x 3450 rpm motor, geared down to 1700 arbor speed (already had motor on hand, o/w would have used 1725 rpm motor.

On a rolling stand that can be locked in position.

HFS

Don't know why it shows up on its side - in the file downloaded it was upright?

Attachments

• ScotchBrite Deburring %22Grinder%22.jpg
    ScotchBrite Deburring %22Grinder%22.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 259
Iphone - Mac - Picture hassle...

When attaching pictures to messages on the forum, you need to first open the picture on your desktop, rotate it 360° (even though it appears to be oriented correctly) and then save it. Then you can attach it to the message.

There's something in the EXIF (?!) data that the iPhone encodes, the Mac understands and either fixes or ignores, but it needs to be "touched-up" by the posting computer/device.

And, I love the grinder...

Attachments

• ScotchBrite Deburring _Grinder_.jpeg
    ScotchBrite Deburring _Grinder_.jpeg
    269.7 KB · Views: 231
I like it! Nice work! I'm assuming the 3/4 hp and "geared down" gives plenty of power at the deburring wheel!

The momentary switch is an interesting idea! I've heard of that for drill presses, but hadn't thought about it for a deburring station.

I just got a new to me empennage kit, so I haven't started the deburring process quite yet....

Which wheel do you end up using more? Fine or medium.

Back