What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Gathering @ KPYM and Vlad's birthday surprise!

Dvalcik

Well Known Member
Sponsor
RVs in the NE all converged on Plymouth MA, KPYM. Captain John our host out did himself along with his Neighbors on either side of his hanger. Great get together, good conversation, a lot of lies, and fun for all.

Planes from Washington DC, Vermont, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Maine flew in by noon.

kpym01.jpg

kpym03.jpg

kpym04.jpg

kpym05.jpg

kpym06.jpg

kpym02.jpg

Then the guest of honor arrived aka “The Mad Russian” arrived.
kpym07.jpg

kpym10.jpg

Things were going great until can you say RAMP CHECK

Last edited by a moderator:
Then things when south for Vlad, John and others will comment to this - I'll just post the pictures .

kpym13.jpg

kpym14.jpg

kpym16.jpg

kpym17.jpg

kpym18.jpg

Amazing how organize he is, calm and collected under pressure :rolleyes:

Then the supprise!

John had arranged a cake - Check it out later, but the Russki has not caught on yet. :D

KPYM20.jpg

KPYM22.jpg

KPYM24.jpg

KPYM25.jpg

KPYM26.jpg

KPYM27.jpg

KPYM28.jpg

KPYM29.jpg

KPYM35.jpg

Happy Birthday Vlad!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome!

We need to be careful. Vlad is entering rockstar status.

Happy Birthday Vlad and sorry I missed out!

A very Happy Birthday to our RV ambassador.

Sorry we could not make the event. Looks like great fun was had by all.

A very Happy Birthday to our RV ambassador.

Sorry we could not make the event. Looks like great fun was had by all.

ALFIO, you were not forgotten. Look at the intersections on the top left hand corner of the cake. They are ALFIO AND SHIRL!

Also there are the airport identifiers for Belfast, Maine... Jim's airport and the name Tony gave Vlad years ago.

:) CJ

ALFIO, you were not forgotten. Look at the intersections on the top left hand corner of the cake. They are ALFIO AND SHIRL!

Also there are the airport identifiers for Belfast, Maine... Jim's airport and the name Tony gave Vlad years ago.

:) CJ

Yes, we saw the clever IFR waypoints, though could not figure all of them out. That is one of the most original cake markings we have seen. Thanks.

wish we could of made the party but we are enroute in the charger passing charleston sc tomorrow. enjoy your next year bday boy. :)
photo-3.jpg

One of funniest transmissions overheard at the KPYM RV gathering

One of the funniest transmissions I overheard on the frequency at the RV gathering occurred at the end of the day. Late afternoon Captain John suggested a flight to KAFN for ice cream at Kimball Farms. If you have had a Kimball Farms ice cream you understand why a call like that is hard to resist. On a scale of 1 to 10 they are an 11 *and* you can fly there.

Most everyone jumped at the opportunity and in no time flat there was a conga line of airplanes lined up to depart on runway 15. One after one the RVs departed self announcing. It sounded like.....

Blue and white RV departing 15, down wind departure to the north.....
Red RV departing 15 ......
Orange and silver RV-7 departing 15....
RV Nxxxx departing 15.....
This went on until the last plane, which was a Cessna 172, pulled out onto 15 and announced its departure calling out...
NOT and RV departing 15......
Not to be outdone, the MA State Police Helicopter waiting for the gaggle of RVs to depart took off and announced....
"State Police Helicopter, NOT an airplane, departing 15..."

It definitely put a smile on my face and left me with a sense of community.

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Vlad! Glad the Ramp Check ended well! Great creative celebration plan for our good will ambassador and skilled aerial photographer.

Carl

The Best Show on Earth!

Thank you guys that was cool! I've been through couple fed checks before and this one looked real. With all CAP setup, parking etc. I just went through two customs couple hours ago so all paperwork was perfect. Good laughs!

What a weekend! Early morning I did a quick 3 hour run to Canada.

Delivered my headset to new owner, made couple friends (thanks Captain Bruno!) and got some cash for gas. Love Canadians great bunch of friendly folks. Brought me their brand name maple syrup and coordinates of a private strip near Montreal.

Cleared US Customs at 11 am and took a quick dip in a creek Upstate NY.

Captain John teletyped hurry up Russki your cake is here. Two more hours and I am at the party.

I've never had a cake like this. Deserves its own thread here.

Then we did an ice cream run as Mike described. Turbo we missed you. What could be better? 7.2h on the hobbs a good daily dose of flying.

Afterparty finished passed midnight.
In 10 hours we were continuing...

Part 2 on Sunday.

Captain John gathered all who survived the party (3 RVs and a Skylane) and showed us some vicinities. How he did that is beyond my understanding only rotary wings are allowed to fly there. Boston skyline 1,000'.

Then we went for breakfast the wait at an airport restaurant was 1 hour and we flew farther north to Maine.

Derek an RV4 builder. He flies charter and we somehow met on occasion.

While refueling at Bethel airport of Maine we met a Taylorcraft driver. Using an interrogation technique I learned that there is a private field called "Two Fools Aerodrome" 6ME6 so I checked it. Perfect spot to call the day.

3 hours later I am typing this at home. Thank you Plymouth guys for good time!

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Vlad!
Looks like you all had a good time.

Vlad you're a good sport with the ramp check.
I'm not sure I would have been so accommodating.:rolleyes:

Vlad's Visit up North

Hi Vlad

It sure was a privilege meeting you in Lachute saturday morning and it is too bad we didn't know it was your birthday otherwise we would have arrange something a little more lively ..

It also was nice meeting your Russian friend Julian.

Hope you enjoy the maple syrop...It goes on great on pancakes in the morning for breakfast.

Hoping to see you on our grass strip on your return from Alaska..Keep me posted and I will do my best to be there.

Cheers

Bruno
[email protected]

P.S: Vlad, do you still have that picture of both of us by our RVs you took??? If you do, could you send it to me at my e-mail above,I will appreciate it..Thanks

Last edited:
Vlad,

С днем ​​рождения! At least google claims this is happy birthday:)

cheers

Geoff

Sounds like a great birthday party Vlad!

My questions is, why in Massachusetts? That is so unlike you. It should have been held at least a thousand miles away from NJ.

Sounds like a great birthday party Vlad!

My questions is, why in Massachusetts? That is so unlike you. It should have been held at least a thousand miles away from NJ.

Bill,

Why not Massachusetts?

Aside from all the liberals, it is a beautiful place! The good thing is, none too many of the liberals fly!

;)

All, I will add some more pictures to this thread later. I only have my iPad now.

Great time was had by all!

;) CJ

Fun deal!!

Happy Birthday Vlad. Great job John on the party and surprise.

That is what this stuff is all about!!!

Back