Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:21 AM

Default Jet-A/Diesel Vans RV

Hi all,

This is my first post and thought I would post it here as it might be worthy news.

I have always like aircraft but, I never really had exposure to Vans RV. I knew about them, saw them fly but, was not involved in any Vans aircraft until, I started hanging around a workshop building these. I got a brand new excitement for GA since then.

I started making some videos around a local South African business building Vans RV aircraft as I took up filming as a new hobby.

With this came an opportunity to film the progress of a real exciting development of a Jet-A/Diesel powered RV9. Other models will follow suit and I hope to document this as well.

Thought I would share this for those interested in alternative power plants for the Vans RV aircraft. This video is an "unboxing video" of the power plant with the rest of the progress to come soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATWH...1P25vV&index=2
Old 01-14-2022, 06:41 AM

Oh man that's precisely the engine I would love to put in a 9A, but Continental won't sell to the experimental market here in the US.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 01-14-2022, 06:59 AM

Welcome to VAF, Ruan!! Hope you will post the progress. This engine seems perfect for your part of the world.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Oh man that's precisely the engine I would love to put in a 9A, but Continental won't sell to the experimental market here in the US.
That would be my understanding as well.
But, who knows what will happen after this one takes to the sky.

Last edited by ruans : 01-14-2022 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 01-14-2022, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillL View Post
Welcome to VAF, Ruan!! Hope you will post the progress. This engine seems perfect for your part of the world.
Thank you, Bill.
I will indeed keep posting more progress videos.
I will return for an update soon.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:30 AM

Quote:
It's not that Continental won't sell it... they don't want to sell it direct to end customers, or rather the German division that runs the CD line operates that way.

They want to sell and support it through OEMs.

I talked to Rian at Osh about it because I wanted a CD-155 for my RV-14 and he said that they had talked to Continental about it but they don't see it as economically viable because a CD-155 is $90k. And why would anyone buy the CD-155 for $90k when you could get 2x IO-390s for the same price?
Old 01-14-2022, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantosDumont View Post
a CD-155 is $90k.
Oh well that changes things - my mistake entirely. I thought Continental actually wanted to, you know, SELL the engines. That apparently is not the case.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Oh well that changes things - my mistake entirely. I thought Continental actually wanted to, you know, SELL the engines. That apparently is not the case.
Yeah, I even tried to sign up for their 5-day CD maintenance class and they wouldn't let me.

Apparently there is some contention between the Germans and the Americans at Continental. At Osh I tracked down the one dude that knew about the CDs and he basically said that the Germans run that whole line and they can't really do anything about it even though the sales dudes would love to sell them.
Old 01-14-2022, 11:18 AM

The product looks great, but they need a realistic selling price. $580/horsepower is well into giggle territory.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:29 PM

Is the engine featured in the Opís video a modified automobile engine? If so, what make/model?