What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Too Freakin Excited

MajorSTI

I was notified earlier this week that my empennage is being shipped! So now I check the track shipment page on Fed Ex about every 12 hours. Yeah, it's that bad.
I am seriously thinking about ordering the wings next week since the lead time is 9 months or so. I probably should have ordered the wings a few months back, but I'm saving my pennies so I can buy the kits out right.

Anyway, headed out to my shop in a bit to work on my practice kit. Need to perfect my riveting ASAP!

When did you order your empennage? Us in the queue are trying to peek ahead to figure out how close we are to the front.

110 hours

I have built several RV7 and RV8 empennage kits… like 24,, or so,,,,
It takes me 110 hours to complete , including the tail light. It’s going to be a long 9 months wait…
But, it’s worth it ,, the RV8 is the best RV, it’s the pick of the litter,,,,
I wonder what the hold up is,? ,,, getting kits shipped out..?

I ordered my 7A tail kit on July 14 and haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully it'll be soon. I know what you mean about being excited. I have everything ready to go...just need a kit now! :D

Exciting can be Expensive

I still fall prey to this issue. Learn from me: stop working earlier than you think you need until you learn your limits. The alternative is known to be expensive. :rolleyes:

Congratulations and best of luck!

Mike

Super exciting! I remember when I got my wing kit back in September. I could hardly sleep the night before. Remember, if you take the day off, it will arrive after 5pm, otherwise it’ll be there first thing in the morning. :D

Good luck and Happy Building!!

- Paolo

I was notified earlier this week that my empennage is being shipped! So now I check the track shipment page on Fed Ex about every 12 hours. Yeah, it's that bad.
I am seriously thinking about ordering the wings next week since the lead time is 9 months or so. I probably should have ordered the wings a few months back, but I'm saving my pennies so I can buy the kits out right.

Anyway, headed out to my shop in a bit to work on my practice kit. Need to perfect my riveting ASAP!

Given the back log of order from the Vans mothership, you should order the wing and the fuselage kits now to lock in the price and get inline. It takes just over a month to build the empennage. 8-9 months of the wings if you are diligent about it. And it will take forever for the rest of the plane.

Finally got both boxes!

Today I received the large flat box with the spars and skins for the tail feathers. For some reason this box was delayed and not delivered with the other box last Friday. Hopefully I'll get it inventoried some and can get it set up in my shop this weekend.
I created a website to document/chronicle my build process. https://www.hucksplace.net/

Back