What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Importance of a Walkaround - Even for a Quick Stop

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
Flew the Rocket to breakfast this morning and after walking out from the resturaunt I notice a Raven standing on the cowl, apparently interested in the spinner. Curious, I thought - it must be interested in the polished aluminum. As I get closer, the Raven flies off and I go straight to the spinner area to see what the interest is. When I put a close eye on it, I see fur seemingly growing from the blade root gap. I reach in and yank out a fresh pelt of some dead rodent. It seems in the 25 minutes since shutting the engine down, the Raven decided my spinner would make a great stash for his breakfast.

I know nests can be built in minutes, but I have never seen a hot engine/prop used as a meat locker.

I'm also a big advocate of the post-flight walkaround. Many years ago I used to rent a Super Cub out of RDD in Northern California. After one enjoyable flight I landed, taxiied to the FBO ramp and parked the aircraft. As I unpacked from the flight I did a quick walkaround and was astonished to see a lot of oil on the belly and the bottom of the cowling. I went inside and squawked it immediately, leaving it for the mechanics to investigate. I didn't fly the aircraft again for a few months and I don't recall exactly what caused the leak, but something obviously let go. There were no indications on the cockpit gauges and the engine was running fine, but something obviously let go. If I had flown a few minutes longer I may have lost the engine. The lesson has certainly stuck with me that you can learn just as much important information from a post-flight inspection than you can from a pre-flight inspection.

Last edited:
The opportunity for aircraft damage is usually take-off and landing. I do a quick cursory look over everything before hopping in the airplane every time.

Was there a stray rock on the runway that got sucked into the prop on take-off? Did I blow a brake line on landing? New oil leak? Won't notice any of that if one just hops in and goes. Just a quick once-around the plane, looking for puddles of mystery fluid, dings in the prop, etc. Not necessarily a thorough pre-flight like one would do in the morning, but signs something went wrong since the last take-off earlier that day.

At work, I've noticed dinged props, oil leaks, bird strikes. Any number of things that need attention before further flight. Co-workers have seen a rock come off the prop, and through the side of the fuselage (twin engine)!

Back