- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 PM

Default Aerosport 375XP SDS EFI

I was out in Kamloops at Aerosport this week, hooking up and running a 375ci clone with our SDS EM-5 EFI/EI setup.

Learned a few new things here which we can apply to improving our product and making the process more seamless for our customers. Fired right up the first time with the base mapping. Got the values tweaked up for the extra cubes. Exceptional idle quality right down to 500 rpm.

Great bunch of people at Aerosport to work with. Nice to get away from our shop/ business for a couple days to play with engines and hang out with engine guys, trading stories.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 456.0 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 12-15-2016, 07:09 PM

what no power numbers....nice tease
Old 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
what no power numbers....nice tease
Not teasing. No dyno in this case, just running on one of the test stands.

Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 456.0 hrs. on the Hobbs,

Old 12-15-2016, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Not teasing. No dyno in this case, just running on one of the test stands.
just poking fun. Good looking engine
Old 12-16-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydroguy2 View Post
just poking fun. Good looking engine
Yes, Aerosport details and paints their engines very nicely. A lot of pride and care goes into their offerings. This particular engine was built up custom with EFI/EI in mind as it has a lightweight accessory cover with no provision for mounting mags at all.

Old 12-16-2016, 07:32 AM

I see V29 software for the EM-5 includes a LOP fuel trim coupled to switched control of the advance map. If I understand correctly, the user can set up a fuel flow and ignition advance schedule for best power operation, a preset additional leaning percentage to accompany more advance for LOP operation, and transition between the two schedules with a single switch flip.

Looks like a gross trim function, i.e. lean all injectors by the same percentage for the LOP schedule. At the practical level, is it working well across all likely cruise MP and RPM settings, or do the EGT spreads vary at different power settings?

More sensible incremental progress. Nice work Ross.

Last edited by DanH : 12-16-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
Yes, Aerosport details and paints their engines very nicely. A lot of pride and care goes into their offerings. This particular engine was built up custom with EFI/EI in mind as it has a lightweight accessory cover with no provision for mounting mags at all.
Ross,

How much weight savings does the lightweight accessory cover yield verses the stock setup?

If there are no provisions for mags, can one still add a secondary/backup alternator back there?
Old 12-16-2016, 08:25 AM

Thats my understanding as well Dan. The now familliar "LOP switch" activates the ignition preset as before, but now adds a user definable gross fuel schedule adjustment. It replaces having to crank the mixture rheostat to find your "normal" LOP setting. My typical mission will climb out at full throttle as before, but now when I reach cruise altitude my power management duty is limited to flipping a single switch. And Ross has cleverly added a MP failsafe that deactivates this function in case I forget to reset the switch on descent. Need to grab a bunch of power on a botched landing but forgot the LOP switch? No problem. Ross has your back.

My mission is pretty tightly defined so if there is some variation in different power settings it will not concern me much, but I'll be happy to do some testing in this area once I'm up and running again. If you can't satisfy your curiosity elsewhere, shoot me some suggestions.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
RV-8 - SDS CPI - SOLD
Old 12-16-2016, 08:34 AM

Default EM-57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
I see V29 software for the EM-5 includes a LOP fuel trim coupled to switched control of the advance map. If I understand correctly, the user can set up a fuel flow and ignition advance schedule for best power operation, a preset additional leaning percentage to accompany more advance for LOP operation, and transition between the two schedules with a single switch flip.

Looks like a gross trim function, i.e. lean all injectors by the same percentage for the LOP schedule. At the practical level, is it working well across all likely cruise MP and RPM settings, or do the EGT spreads vary at different power settings?

More sensible incremental progress. Nice work Ross.
Thanks Dan.

Yes, this feature was suggested by users regularly flying LOP at similar power settings and altitudes. Once set up, this feature allows a very quick transition to LOP plus adds your preset ignition advance to bring back some of the lost power due to the lean mixture. You may then tweak your fuel trims to even out each cylinder's EGTs. We've placed some software MAP limits in here to prevent the ignition advance part from happening at the wrong time to help avoid inadvertent operation in the "Red Zone".

Shipping now are the new EM-57 boards which have on-PCB barometric sensors (no more daughter boards) and V 29.1 software which has more advanced setup modes for temp sensor pairing plus improved MAP sensor accuracy. There is also a new header strip for future connection possibilities into the CPU. Boards are also now machine conformal coated vs. hand done as before. This gives more consistent coverage for improved moisture/ humidity protection. Our military customers like this advance so we've just done it across the entire line as it's just easier during production and gives all users a higher quality product.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chkaharyer99 View Post
Ross,

How much weight savings does the lightweight accessory cover yield verses the stock setup?

If there are no provisions for mags, can one still add a secondary/backup alternator back there?
I'd have to talk to Aerosport on the weight savings, try to get back to you on that.

There are no holes/pads for any driven accessories on these lightweight covers. These were developed for markets where weight savings are considered a priority- aerobatic and extreme STOL applications.