What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Negative comments about our Arrowhead flyover

AX-O

Well Known Member
As you can imagine I have been on cloud 9 due to last weekend?s experience flying in the 49 ship over Arrowhead stadium. I have been sharing the experience and the cause with everyone. Nothing but positive comments have been the standard feedback. I saw a link on facebook to one of our videos. I started reading the comments and people were very happy. Then the negative comments started rolling in. People questioning why we spent the money building our own planes and doing the event instead of donating the money. Or why only this type of cancer and not the other. Or this or that. It really made me depressed. I talked to my wife about it and she told me not to worry.

I supported this even due to my own personal reasons and can say that my heart and intensions were/are genuine. I can?t believe that all of us donated our time, money, airplanes and put our lives somewhat in harm?s way and people can be that negative.

Thank you to this community for the positive support. We all worked very hard to accomplish this. The KC guys/gals went way above and beyond to make this happen.

I don?t want to turn this post into a train wreck. And do the same thing that is being done by some on facebook (negativity). I just simply wanted to say thank you for the support.

AC I saw some of those same comments and couldn't help but laugh at those people...you can't fix stupid.

Aw don't let it get to you, there would be those people no matter what.
I thought it was awesome, would have only been better if I was flying it it myself.

Trolls

How easy it is to sit on your couch in your pajamas, depressed about your circumstances in life, and post nasty comments on the internet. Don't feed the trolls by responding and let it go.

If you feel good about it, and all of the comments that you got IN PERSON were positive, then you know you did something right.

Right on

How easy it is to sit on your couch in your pajamas, depressed about your circumstances in life, and post nasty comments on the internet. Don't feed the trolls by responding and let it go.

If you feel good about it, and all of the comments that you got IN PERSON were positive, then you know you did something right.

What he said.

No matter what the circumstance, you can always find someone who will complain. One of the best traits one can develop in life is the ability to ignore others who choose to show their backside.

Everyone is a Critic

You know Axel, take it from me - the more you achieve, the more critics you will find. On the other hand, don't take it from me - take it from Teddy Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

Those people who commented on the flyover spent a lot of money on their tickets and/or their big screen TVs to watch the game. Maybe they should have donated that money to charities instead.

Feel good about what you guys accomplished and don't let a few bad apples spoil the crop! :D

I'll Add One More...

It is hard to imagine any action that people might engage in, even an overt act of charity such as this, not earning criticism from some quarter of our society. That is simply the world we live in. Abraham Lincoln?s famous quote comes to mind, ??you can never please all of the people all of the time?. He was right, so don?t try! You chose to participate based on your own beliefs and values, and that?s what honorable and courageous people do. :cool:

Tune out the naysayers, lest they become the compass you steer your life by. :eek:

Coments half empty

A/C

I saw those also. Made me chuckle a bit. They sounded very "half empty glass" to me. I'm glad I think and feel like me and not like them. Life is grand, that flyover was awesome, can't wait for more.

Weeble

If you're going to publicize yourself either with a public fly by, on YouTube or by posting stories on an Internet discussion board, then you are guaranteed to get negative remarks. Don't want any negative remarks, then don't publicize the event/comment/story. Just human nature in the world wide web age. Be confident that what you did brought good coverage of "little" airplanes and awareness of breast cancer. That was what you intended to accomplish.

And as for those who suggest not spending YOUR money on an airplane. Just look at Western society today. There's a pervasive mentality that what's yours is not yours - it's the village's! It's insane in my opinion. But it's where the country is heading.

As for the comments about this cancer or that, I did hear a talk radio personality mentioning "pink saturation" or something to that effect the other day. Just passing along a related comment as this is an Internet discussion board! ;)

Last edited:
Keep flying them RV missions, makes more people happy than you can imagine.

Besides its always funny to hear a Troll make noise.

I can tell you this...

Several guys have walked by my desk while checking out the pictures (fighter buddies, TOPGUN staff, etc), and all of us are thoroughly impressed. Nice job guys.

In the mean time

1518982711_1373269348.jpg

Face Book is a waste of my time, I seldom go there. Seems like people live at the site including many knuckle heads with no real life.
Consider the source Axel, their comments are like bird poop and will wash away with next rain. No substance or staying power whatever.

You could stand on a busy corner handing out 100 dollar bills and someone will still find something to complain about. Keep your head up.

Thumbs up

Axel...all of us here have a huge admiration for what all of you guys 'n gals accomplished, and the stadium picture with you guys over it is now my screen background.

I feel sorry for the "half emptiers."

Thanks again,

For the past several years I've been involved with setting up the an annual aircraft display day here at work. A bunch of us employee aircraft owners fly our airplanes in and display them in conjuction with a company car show.

Amazingly enough, feedback after the fact revealed complaints from some people that "...it was the same old airplanes every year..."

This is from our fellow employees...

...At a major aerospace company!

Haters gonna hate!

That reminds me of a Top Gear episode where the guys from England came over to Miami and bought three $1000 beaters and drove them to New Orleans. There they proceeded to give the cars away to people who had none.
I was surprised and a bit irate at all the bitching and moaning that went on because they didn't given away cars that were new and perfect! :confused:
Good job guys! The flyover was beautiful. I hope to join one of these days.

Then the negative comments started rolling in. People questioning why we spent the money building our own planes and doing the event instead of donating the money. Or why only this type of cancer and not the other. Or this or that. It really made me depressed. I talked to my wife about it and she told me not to worry.

Such is life on the tip of the spear (or arrowhead....).

Brush it off...this too shall pass. :)

Sadly, this is the face of the internet. There's a downside to giving everyone a voice, and that's that lots of people have voices that have nothing worthwhile to say.

About a month ago, a guy I knew had a hotel experience that went viral and ended up with him talking to national media outlets out of nowhere. This guy is possibly the nicest, most upbeat person I've encountered in my life. I watched as, on one article that hit the frontpage of Yahoo, person after person fixated on small details of the story and painted him with pretty much every negative name you could think of.

It was maddening, not only because all these people were clearly jumping to conclusions about someone they'd never met, but also because I knew that no amount of convincing would ever change most of their minds. It would be pointless to even try and persuade them.

The only way to really cope with this is to internalize the lack of value of it. These are people scanning an article, looking for something to pick on, ignoring anything counter to their desires, and then going for the jugular. They're not rational critics trying to calmly disagree, they're shrill people who get a charge out of their shrillness and denigrating others.

I know it's easier said than done, but you have to sit back, take stock of your achievements, and enjoy them on their own merits. Don't let the [REDACTED ANATOMICAL TERM]s get you down. You guys did an awesome thing, and poured your time and talents into it.

The glass is more than half full

Axel:

You have the opportunity to tell your wife:
a) "you're right!" and
b) "I'm taking your advice."

Either one is a win on the home front, and the two combined... well, they won't get you out of the worst dog house, but will be appreciated;
ultimately, that's more important than internet naysayers.

Welcome to public servitude.

Axel, you'll learn not to listen to each individual and just average it all out instead. I'm an EMT and serve in the volunteer rescue squad. I'm also a cop. Depending on which uniform I have on determines the good and bad perceptions. With the squad, I'm a nice, thoughtful young man who cares enough to help people out and serve his community. With the police uniform, I'm a jackbooted thug looking to pick on people and ruin their lives,and I'm weak and must have got beat up and picked on a lot as a kid. Oh, and I eat donuts by the truckload. Hmm, that's strange, I put either uniform on to do something in my community besides sit there and gripe about how bad it is. Guess who the people that bellyache about everything are? Learn to ignore them and remember, just about anyone can open their mouths and show their preconceived notions and prejudices. The people that make the differences in the world are out there doing it instead of whining about everything while contributing nothing.

Takes money to....

It takes money to make money. All major charity's spend upwards of 80% of the donations to make what they make.

I am partial to the Susan G. Komen foundation and Make a Wish. All you need is to touched in the heart by someone from either camp and you'll do what ever you can to help. I donate to both and try to do the Susan G. Komen walk every year that I can.

Good job everyone. As Paul said, success will breed detractors.

Those "kinds of people" are the ones who suck the life out of all those around them. They are the "takers" of society, not the givers. YOU gave, and they tried to take that away from you. They aren't worth the time of day....

Axel mate, you and the rest of the flight did good.

Some pricks could win the lotto and would complain that they got paid by cheque instead of cash, you just can't please some people - and lets face it, it is infinitely easier to be an Internet hero and criticise the work you and your fellow pilots did via FB or an anonymous forum than to front up to you as your tying down and say it to your face, bunch of cowards they are.

An easy fix for those who are criticising how/why you guys did it - ask them "Well, what have you done to raise $40,000+ for charity today?" and when the answer comes back "nothing", smile and walk away knowing their spiteful comments mean sweet F.A.

Good work, no matter what anyone says.

Axel,

I recently read a tech article about online product endorsements. The article mentioned that as much as 10% of people trashing a product have never tired it.

Ignore the 10% Trolls!

AC I saw some of those same comments and couldn't help but laugh at those people...you can't fix stupid.

I agree with you and Bill Engvall states it best for those people with negative comments:

here your sign lg.jpg

Very good cause and outstanding showmanship pulling off the formation! :D

Arrows

Axel,

You can always tell the leaders, they are the ones with the arrows in their backs.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Tom

The flyover was amazing, and the money raised went to an excellent cause. You pilots did a magnificent job and should all be proud of what you accomplished. Don't let a few miserable complainers get you down.

If your heart is smiling, you did good, and I'm betting there are a gazillion hearts smiling over that flyover, an accomplishment that is just too good to worry about a few ODD folks.

Impressive!

All you have to do is look at all of the other, non RV pilot, youtube posts. People were standing outside the stadium with video cameras waiting for the flyover. They were impressed. I couldn't hear a single 'bark eater' complaining about the 'pink smoke' poluting the air!

Great job. Now, when the next record breaking formation attempt! :D

Throwing pearls ......

Then the negative comments started rolling in. People questioning why we spent the money building our own planes and doing the event instead of donating the money. Or why only this type of cancer and not the other. Or this or that. .

Axel, you ever heard that "throwing pearls to swine" thing :) Trying to justify anything to a pig just makes you crazy and the pig don't care!

It was a fabulous event, exceptionally well done! Praise from your peers is worth a lot more than any criticism from the crowd.

Looking forward to next year!

Axel,

As many have said here, FANTASTIC JOB(!!). Kudos to all involved.

Lifting the spirits of 10 who "get it", far outweighs random commentary from 10,000 who "have no clue".

Your aviation friends here, as well as the individuals affected by cancer and friends and families of those individuals, truly "get it".

And THAT is all that one needs to hear.

Again job well done by all, on so many levels.

James

Being an artist I often wear a target for critics to shoot at. 99% of them couldn't draw a stick man, but I guess they are entitled to their opinion.

Axel, I watched the fly-over video with a sense of pride knowing that I have an airplane just like many in that amazing formation and that I've met one or two of the people doing the flying.

Great cause, great effort! You guys done good, that's all there is to it! :)

Last edited:
hey you know what I do when all the whiners start bad mouthing a good deed?

Nothing...life's to short to worry about the petty people.

You guys did GREAT....$30000 for Cancer Awareness!!!

I glad to call you all friends. Heck I've even flown with some of you and still like ya.

Maybe you guys should do your next good deed on behalf of the Wounded Warriors instead. You won't hear those guys whining about anything...

Lee...

...take it from Teddy Roosevelt:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. ...
Or, in modern parlance, "Haters gonna hate."

Then there's always one of my favorites: "What do you care what other people think?" -R.P. Feynman

TODR

No pleasing everyone!

In a perfect world everyone would donate to every cause. In paradise there would be no cause that you would need to donate to. Most people support in their own way to the causes that are most important to them. Continue to do what is best for you and do what you can. I?m sure the people that you have touched in some way either big or small really appreciate it.

It was awesome

It was awesome and was the best sign of cancer awareness I have seen.
I also have shared those videos with many people and the response has been all positive. Non-aviators very impressed with the flying skill and the purpose.

As for the complainers, reminds me of Christmas Vacation after Clark decorated his house for the family and the father-in-law says, "Clark, the little lights aren't twinkling."

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nsaxNehMibg&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnsaxNehMibg

Last edited:
Aw don't let it get to you, there would be those people no matter what.
I thought it was awesome, would have only been better if I was flying it it myself.

Ditto what Don says AX!! Those idiots want you to work for them and give THEM your money. Typical stuff.

Last edited:
Long ago when a particularly tough and problem ridden turbine development program had turned the corner and was well on the way to meeting all the goals, we had a celebration gathering. When the leader made a heart felt speech thanking all the team, there was wide support and agreeable comments, but there was one guy who just pounded the project with some very negative comments. It rolled off most, but afterward, I talked to the leader. I was a young engineer and he obviously had more experience. He said every project is difficult, that is the nature of doing something better than before. There is always someone who does not feel part of the success and, they way he put it, "wants to throw a turd in the punch bowl at the victory party". I have never understood how to completely neutralize this, but in the decades that followed, was never surprised when it happened again.

Congratulations on this huge team success, be rightly proud of the accomplishment and the cause for which it stands. Don't let the small minded taint the feeling. They are always there. Lurking.

Absolutely Stunning

Axel, you guys did it right!

Remember, some people will come up on a river flowing beer and b#%ch if there are no pretzel trees.

They are small minded people.

Back