What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for feedback on having work done after buying a flying RV

Arlen

Well Known Member
I am considering the pros and cons of buying a currently flying RV-6A or -7A. I've owned 8 airplanes over the years, all of the certified variety, and I am not one who has either the time or the knowledge/skill to do much of the maintenance or work myself. I am very particular about my planes, and do spend time cleaning, protecting....but I've always used an A&P/IA that I trust for everything else.

I have looked at a few RVs, and flew a -7A.

I'm looking for honest opinion and options. I know some A&Ps (including mine) do not work on Exp-AB planes due to additional liability insurance costs, so I would have to find one who did...

Does it make sense for someone like me to buy an RV? What are the plusses and minuses?

Yes, it makes sense

There are many people like you that have neither the time nor to inclination to build an airplane that are flying RV's.

Spend some time browsing VAF and the Van Aircraft website to educate yourself on the different models. When you get to the point of buying and aircraft have a pre-buy done by someone that is knows a lot about RV's. There is a HUGE difference in build quality, so find someone that really knows what they are doing. Be ready to walk away from a bad one and act quickly on a good one.

There are many A&P's & A&P/IA's that work on RV's. For example, my brother Walt (EXP Aircraft) has 30+ years of aviation maintenance experience and would much rather work on RV's then certified birds. I'm sure you can find some one in your area.

We bought a flying 7a

no issues getting the A&P on the field to work on it. the only thing he refused to work on was the Pmag ignition (which he had never seen before). We have several RVs on the field and he works on many of them.

As I understand it, the only thing you will need and A/P for is the annual inspection (yes, "condition" inspection). Everything else can be done by anybody you trust to do the work.

It is very probable that many experienced repeat builders know the RV better than many A/P types, ----who are trained to work on certified aircraft and just dont get that much exposure to homebuilts.

I'm on my second purchased RV and I'm sure my third will be a RV as well. There are many reasons it works well for me, a few are;
Non TSO 'ed equipment, with the ever changing technology I couldn't imagine the cost of trying to stay current with TSO'ed.
Cheaper to fly and cheaper to maintain regardless who is working on it.
The guys that fly the experimental seem to be a friendlier group, and they know how to find ways to use the aircraft.
The RV is truly a well designed aircraft that will give you the best combination of speed and simplicity.

We bought a flying RV-8A in June, and have enjoyed the heck out of flying and tinkering with this beautiful aircraft.

When we bought it, the plane need some modification so that my height-challenged wife could fly it. We had an experienced builder install adjustable rudder pedals, back seat controls, and a bunch of other "as long as we are at it" items before taking delivery.

My A&P has no problem working on it. The heart of the aircraft is still plain vanilla Lycosaur and Hartzell, something every A&P sees daily.

It's probably a good idea to ask up front, but I have had no problems with finding people to work on my RV.

Since your in Fla. I would suggest contacting Jan Bussell in
Lake Okeechobee. Number on this site under training. When I got the bug to pursue a RV, I had never flown in one and needed some time for insurance purposes. Even though a high time pilot I would never buy an airplane I have 0 time in without a little supervised stick time. This accomplished two things. One insurance requirements and two confirmed the fact that I would truly enjoy owning and flying a RV. As far as the MX issues what everyone said so far is true. Most A&P will do a pre buy. If the logistics of sending your own mechanic to the plane is not an issue,send Walt, you will not be disappointed with his work. Once you have the plane home you can find mechanics in the area with RV experience. Remember there are almost 9000 flying as of today. Good Luck
BTW N731CK RV-6A has made the journey from WA to her new home in Texas, 52F with her new owners!

My buddy

Ray Lawrence is an A@P/IA and has built 16 RV's..all of them and does condition inspections and pre-buys as far as San Diego and Las Vegas.

He's at OKZ, Sandersville, Ga.

Best,

You flew your Bonanza in the speed trials at Courtland, AL in 2010

I was impressed by you performance and the obvious attention to detail on your airplane. As mentioned earlier there is a wide range of quality of workmanship and system integration in experimental airplanes. Finding an RV that is near what you want with the level of quality that you demand will require some work but as we age more of the builders lose their medical, etc. and planes that are high quality become available. You obviously have the desire and the ability to buy one but the screening of candidates is a nontrivial issue for the purchase. With your experience I think that is a manageable risk.

Finding an A&P that will work on your plane should not be too difficult and if the first one doesn't satisfy you expectations after a reasonable opportunity it should not be too difficult to find another. The owner responsibility is very similar to that for a production airplane from a management perspective.

My wife Jeanine and I built our RV-6A but I am based at an airport where several RV owners have bought their planes. They all seem to enjoy their airplanes and have no apparent trouble getting them worked on and inspected.

I agree with an earlier post that said these are well designed airframes with construction methods and system access is reasonable but somethings are not obvious and they vary from one plane to another - the biggest of these is the cowl installation.

Thoroughly review the systems and make sure they satisfy your needs. The fuel and the communication systems for example that were implemented by the builder to satisfy a perceived level of need may conflict with your expectations. The devil is in the details.

Our airplane was first flown in March of 2004 and has more than 1000 flight hours so normal airplane ownership cycles have been experienced. I do all the work and inspections on the plane normally but when I require the static system and transponder checks every two years the local avionic shop is happy to do that periodic work as well as test and repair random failures. A few years ago I bent a pushrod tube before I had any experience with engines and when I contacted the big maintenance shop they sent a mechanic over and he installed a new one with no hassle at all.

Bob Axsom

I appreciate all of the comments. I must admit that the build quality question does concern me a bit, and I will definitely use an expert to check that out on any planes I consider.

Bob A.,
yes, I did fly that Courtland race and a couple others that year, none the past couple years. I've listed my Bonanza for sale, so I am investigating/searching for the right plane to occupy the next chapter..

Thanks again.

A plane is a plane. Get a good mechanic to look over the plane and log books. Most of these are fairly new, not like a 30 year old piper. That is a big help. Don't get freaked out because it is an 'experimental'. Just don't plan on making money with it. More plane for the $$$$. Good luck in your search. Take your time and find that plane for life. Don't settle for anything less. A local flying friend called last week with the exact same question you had. Lookn for an rv after only having certified aircraft. You will love it! :)

No Fear

Arlen, You are in an area with literally hundreds of RVs within 50 miles. Daytona beach EAA chapter 288 meets in Spruce Creek third Thursday of every month. We have many A&Ps here that know Exp. A/C and work on them. Just south of you in Sebastion, FL is Two Bums Aircraft, They have built and worked on very many RVs. Gene (500+ hours on RV-7A).

Back