What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Emergency landing! Stuck in Columbia, SC

Today was a real Monday. Headed out to a biz trip from FD22 to KCLT for the week. Just decending out of 13k for 11k and felt like "you forgot to richen dummy" but pushed in rich and no change. Running but really rough. All good on the instruments except #4 had no EGT and CHT dropping. Clear that #4 was dead. I was IFR and told JAX center I needed to land at KCAE due to engine problem. ATC switched me to Columbia Approachand said they had declared an emergency. Really? I've been reading this was coming. Landed a little hot but no other problems except real rough running on taxi. Parked. Thought about changing my underwear but that was good. Pulled upper cowl. Bent push tube on #4 exhaust valve. Yup...stuck valve. Investigations so far seem that no other damage than bent push tube, shroud, etc.

Stuck here needing parts and help with no local knowledge. Anybody around that might be able to help out a fellow RV'er?

just notice have not updated my data in a while. Tach: 370 hours (yes not 2 years yet).

Give me a call or email
jclarkmail
over at
gmail

I am (primarily) at KCUB but used to be based fully at KCAE. Can at least put you in touch with people.

James

Steve/James
I'm about 50 miles to the west of Columbia on I20 in North Augusta, SC located at Twin Lakes Airport (S17). Not sure what I can do but contact me (803-341-2232) if you guys need help.

Thanks Joe

Joe, I made contact with James and have some good direction from deep local knowledge. I have a plan and will be hoping to get in process tomorrow. Will reach out if I run into snags. Truly appreciate your contact! Thanks.

Steve,

Good talking to you today and glad you got down safely. I knew the VAF post would be a great option for you as there is a huge amount of help available in the RV community.

James is a good guy with lot of contacts. If fact I plan on having a beer with him at OSH if he is available... ;)

Cheers!

Good Lesson Here

Don't hesitate to declare an emergency. Why wait till a piston blows out the side of the cowl, smoke turns into flames, or you go from a bouncing ammeter needle to full electric failure. This is even more true when flying In IMC.
Get all the attention you can as soon as you can. Go to the front of the approach line. Doesn't cost a thing. I'll bet Steve didn't even have to file a report.
Terry, CFI
RV9A N323TP

A declaration of emergency is just that - a statement that things have gone poop. Once that declaration is made, the PIC has the legal right to break whatever FARs he chooses to to the degree necessary to deal with the emergency. At the request of the Administrator (i.e., some FAA flunky), you *may* be requested to explain your actions in writing, but... read on...

I've declared emergencies twice, ATC did it once for me, and of those present at Flight Instructor Refresher Clinics that I've attended, typically half the instructors have declared emergencies. Nobody that I know of has ever had to fill out any paperwork, although when I was based at an airport with a fire department, the fire department wanted information (possibly so that they could say that they had something to do that month...)

Trivia point! There are four entities that can declare an emergency: the pilot in command; ATC; the operator of the aircraft, e.g., the airline; or the owner of the aircraft, e.g., an airplane leasing company.

When things go poop, declare an emergency. When things are iffy, the phrase is "pan, pan," and that gives ATC a heads up.

Later today, I'm going to take my RV-9A for its first flight since annual and first flight since a major avionics replacement. I've reviewed the emergency procedures for my installation; the first flight will start with one trip around the pattern and a taxi back; and I will inform clearance delivery that I'm on a test flight. If untoward and unexpected things happen, I want ATC to already be on board.

Not declaring an emergency is like the Monty Python skit, "It's just a flesh wound..."

Re: Lesson learned

I had no problem declaring an emergency on this one. But ATC said they did before I got the words out of my mouth. That was the new part for me. But I'm glad they did it. Certainly did not hurt.

Another lesson learned...Lycoming actually has a SB out for valve maintenance to prevent this problem...or at least mitigate as many as possible. I was not aware. It's for less than 400 hours since new or overhaul. Hopefully I out with little damage. But will be doing the valve maintenance on all cylinders ASAP.

dont forget to do the exhaust valve SB on the other valves. once is enough.
P1010536.jpg

On the first flight of the day after leveling off at 2 or 3 thousand the eng would stumble 2or3 times which to me felt like a valve trying to stick. Say what you will, but I started using the recommended amount of Marvel Mystery oil in th gas and I've never had the problem since.

Ollie

Marvel Mystery Oil

I agree with Sam...that's the dosage I remember from our late friend and A&P Richard (Sam knows who I'm talking about).

One quart in the sump and 4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel.

I agree with Sam...that's the dosage I remember from our late friend and A&P Richard (Sam knows who I'm talking about).

One quart in the sump and 4 ounces per 10 gallons of fuel.

Wow, you just dumped a quart of solvent in your engine with 4-5 qts of oil :eek:

My 2c, if you just change the oil regularly (25 hrs) and lean aggressively you won't need to wash the engine out with solvent.

From the Wiki:
The product is composed of 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard.[1]

I guess we could mix our own, if we could just find a reliable source of Lycoming-approved lard ;)

Wow, you just dumped a quart of solvent in your engine with 4-5 qts of oil :eek:

My 2c, if you just change the oil regularly (25 hrs) and lean aggressively you won't need to wash the engine out with solvent.

I don't use MMO in the oil of my plane, just tried to recall what is on the bottle.....just answering the question that was posted. I did add some to the fuel a few times when I was trying to free up a sticky valve. Ended up pulling the cylinder and doing a proper repair.

I didn't see 4 oz/10 gal changing the color of the fuel.

Last edited:

Lots of assumptions in the above reply...

I don't put MMO in my oil although I admit I have. Let's see, one quart MMO and SEVEN (7) quarts of oil is not the mix you assume. Plus your math is wrong. If one quart of MMO is 25% solvent that's only 1/4 quart of solvent per SEVEN (7) quarts of oil. I don't put MMO in my fuel although I remember the A&P who worked on the plane when my dad owned it recommended MMO. They're both now dead. It's a C172K.

I do lean aggressively and I do change oil at 25 hours or 4 months, whichever comes first. FWIW, my engine is the low compression (7.0:1) 150 hp O-320, certified for 80 octane Avgas. First TBO went 2265 hours. Presently have 280 hours SMOH.
Like Sam, I was just trying to answer the question ...and I get slammed. Sheesh.
This thread is way off original direction.
I hope Steve made it to Charlotte.

Last edited:
Thread way off

Don,

Sometimes these threads drift pretty far right? Let me try to get it back on track. I made it to Charlotte from Columbia on 4 wheels in an hour 45. I was looking at the ETE on my GNS430 when the valve stuck and I had only about 25 minutes to fly. Isn't that speed why we love the RV?!

I have been put in touch with a highly regarded A&P who is also very busy because of that. Very nice guy. We're taking a close look tomorrow morning to see what our course of action will be.

I'm interested in what people would say about the repair. If no issues on the cam or cylinder and only a bent push rod and shroud...what does everybody say? I've read what Lyc thinks. And I've read several other inputs on other sites. Like to see what the VAF crowd has to say.

Don,

Sometimes these threads drift pretty far right? Let me try to get it back on track. I made it to Charlotte from Columbia on 4 wheels in an hour 45. I was looking at the ETE on my GNS430 when the valve stuck and I had only about 25 minutes to fly. Isn't that speed why we love the RV?!

I have been put in touch with a highly regarded A&P who is also very busy because of that. Very nice guy. We're taking a close look tomorrow morning to see what our course of action will be.

I'm interested in what people would say about the repair. If no issues on the cam or cylinder and only a bent push rod and shroud...what does everybody say? I've read what Lyc thinks. And I've read several other inputs on other sites. Like to see what the VAF crowd has to say.

Pull the cylinder. If the cam, tappet and the crankcase adjacent to the tappet bore look OK then send the cylinder out for repair. Install the repaired cylinder with new push rod and push rod tube. Perform dry tappet clearance check to ensure lifter preload is correct.

Mike,

Thanks for your input. Getting with the recommended local mechanic tomorrow morning. Will see what he thinks and compare to your input.

Back