What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor removal difficulty

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
Removed the four mounting nuts and lock washers and the governor is still solid attached to the adapter. What am I missing?

Bob Axsom

Guessing you installed it with sealant? Probably just a stuck gasket, a moderate rap to the side of the gov hsg should break it loose. A wooded rod would be a good transfer device. I like a slow moving heavy hammer, not a fast light one. Easier to sneak up on success.

Thanks Bill

Tired as can be and up against a time wall - time to step back and take a breath. I communicated with my friend Red Hamilton as well and the thought is consistent that it is bonded. He suggested a putty knife might be helpful.

I tapped it with a plastic mallet earlier but they were light because I wanted to think about it over dinner before taking it to the next level. I've got a couple of hand sledge hammers and a heavy dowel out there so its time to saddle up and go back to the airport. ARGH!

Thanks again Bill.

Bob Axsom

Removing a govennor

Removed the four mounting nuts and lock washers and the governor is still solid attached to the adapter. What am I missing?

Bob Axsom

It must be an incumbent. :rolleyes:

It might take a putty knife, an aggressive nudge with a mallet, and maybe some heat. If there is sealant on there it's been cooked on really good. Try the mallet with a wood dowel side to side, or at various angles.

RT

Last edited:
Success!

It's almost 2 in the morning and I just got back from the airport I did use my little sledge hammer and a thick wooden dowel (~1.5" dia.). After a few high mass low velocity whacks it popped loose that is the first time since new that it has been off (~14 years). I re-torqued the prop bolts (42 ft-lbs) and safety wired them. Torqued the governor adapter cover nuts (204 In-lbs). It is ready to test and check for function and leaks then close up and fly to Jasper, TX for a race on Saturday.

Bob Axsom

Hammers

Bob, my motto is "Don't force it, get a bigger hammer". Good luck in the race. Gene

Back