Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:06 PM

Default help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLPete View Post
If you donít fly in visible moisture in temperatures below 5 degrees Celsius you will PROBABLY remain ice free. I fly my RV by this rule because Iíve observed ice while flying other airplanes that are certified for ice. No problems so far. I have been delayed 7 days waiting for acceptable conditions on one trip though. The RV can do a lot of things the kerosene burners cannot do, but ice is not one of them. To those that need to fly in those conditions, you need a different airplane. Iím happy rwarre made it home safely and your decision to wait and seek out advice was very wise! Sorry my timing was off, but using the visible moisture and 5 degrees rule will PROBABLY keep you and anyone else reading this out of the ice.
Added a conditional. I have been in icing conditions where the temp was above 5C, visible moisture, and ice was forming...yes, the aircraft was FIKI capable.

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-22-2022, 12:21 PM

Anyone whose been flying actual imc for years knows there are very few, if any, hard and fast rules that apply to icing, except one. It can hurt you.
Educate yourself, always have an out and be safe.

VAF #818
Saint Simons Island, GA. KSSI
PIF 2007 - 2022

I just wish I could afford to live the way I do
Old 01-22-2022, 12:33 PM

Default Ice

This was over 20 years ago so some of my recollections are a little vague. I was based in Bullhead City AZ, flying air ambulance in a pressurized and known ice equipped piston twin. I had gotten a preliminary weather briefing and decided that I was ok to the south and east but not to the west. I was pre flighting the airplane and doing a runup. There was an RV6A parked on the right. A man and woman got in the RV and took off. I remember thinking "I hope they are not going to the coast". Well they were going to San Diego area and didn't make it. Iced up somewhere north of Julian VOR and literally fell out of the sky.
I did not meet them or talk to them.
Old 01-22-2022, 01:33 PM

I've only been truly scared in an airplane three times. Two of those were because of ice. Respect it.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Pending Repeat Offender - 10 kit is on order. TDI? Turbine? Stay tuned!
Old 01-22-2022, 02:49 PM

Don't know where you are, or where you are going. VFR? Stay out of clouds or visible moisture with Temps below 32F. If you are a brave SE single pilot IFR warrior and find you pick up ice change altitude preferably climb immediately. ICE conditions can exceed the capability of even large turbine aircraft.

2021 Dues Paid
Old 01-22-2022, 04:08 PM

A lot of great points, and good on you for coming here to ask! In regards to tools one can use to determine if you will be flying through icing conditions is Foreflight's Icing overlay which allows you to change the altitude and observe the icing and severity. I have found it to be pretty accurate. A great tool in my book to accompany the general rules posted previously in this post. Educate yourself as much as possible.

If you fly into those conditions you will get icing, and you will not be happy. In addition to the actual affect it has on your aircraft's ability to fly, it also will task saturate you pretty quickly while you are most likely in IMC. Depending on your experience, your bucket will get full fast.

Speaking of fast, this stuff can form alarmingly quick (faster the higher up from my experience). Recently flew through icing in a fighter just momentarily and canopy was iced over to the point of not being able to see out of it in a matter of 2 seconds with snow cones on the tips of my stores!

Safe flying!
Old 01-22-2022, 06:14 PM

Default Yes

It is truly amazing how fast it can build upÖ

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 01-22-2022, 07:26 PM

Iíve been watching this post with great interest, because in my flying career airframe icing has been my biggest concern. I have been scared early on - more from ice, or the likelihood of ice - than any other other gotchaís (thunderstorms). You can usually get out of the icing layer by climbing or descending, but you need to do it quickly, and you need to have the capability to do so. A turbojet engine helps here, a LycomingÖ.. not so much. One thing I know - you canít get airframe icing if you are not in visible moisture (clouds, rain, snow, etc) and in icing conditions. What is icing conditions? Airframe icing conditions - visible moisture and OAT <+5C. Engine icing can occur earlier - visible moisture, icing conditions as previously stated, or temp/dew point spread of <10C.
Our RVís arenít good at handling ice. If you have a fuel injected engine, you have a slight margin in terms of engine icing, but the effects are less visible.
Our fat RV wings arenít good at carrying ice. Drag builds quickly. It doesnít matter if itís clear ice or rime. In fact rime may be worse because of the negative aerodynamic effects. Iíve seen this twice in my RVís, and we donít always have the variable altitude capability to deal with it. And donít forget, we are not legally capable to fly in known meteorological icing conditions in our airplanes. What is ďknown meteorological icing conditionsĒ? - Any forecast or known (PIREPS) inflight icing conditions that exists on your planned route of flight at the altitudes you are likely to encounter along your route.
Since none of us has a system that allows flight into known icings conditions, we need to be careful when dealing with possible ice. If you are flying through a cloud when the temp is below freezing, especially moist - high dew point- you are likely to get airframe ice. Engine induction icing is just as likely in these conditions and will be a little more insidious.
Be careful out there. You can build an RV that will fly a low visibility approach to minimums - automatically - but you still canít legally, or safely, fly that airplane in known or forecast icing conditions. For good reason.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Sold(sadly)
RV4/bought 2019/sold2021
RV6/Used kit purchased 2021 building
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2022