What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

12iS w/G3X FADEC Issue

BobbyLucas

Well Known Member
Looking for some help troubleshooting why my G3X is not seeing the 912iS FADEC. I have no engine instruments - red Xs through all. When I go into Configuration Mode and select SYSTEM INFO, the FADEC line item has no green check or any info. There are no lane faults and no blown fuses in the cockpit as far as I can tell.

Support had me check continuity on CAN LO and CAN HI between the EMS and HIC and there was no issue there.

I really hope this is something obvious, even if I look dumb for it. :eek:

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

(I am still pre-first engine start and I have never seen the engine gauges work. Until now I thought maybe the engine had to be running first.)

Bobby,

What G3X Touch software version are you using? That is always the first thing to tell us in a report like this.

Sometimes people build a plane and try to power-up and use software that is many years old and lacking many of the newer features.

The current software is V9.01.

Steve

There are LED Status lights on the GEA 24; my install manual Rev. AN lists them in section 36.1.1 the troubleshooting section, a place to start.

There are LED Status lights on the GEA 24; my install manual Rev. AN lists them in section 36.1.1 the troubleshooting section, a place to start.

The GEA 24 LED is flashing green, which the manual says is "On and communicating using the CAN Bus."

I had what sounds like a similar issue. Like you, I've not yet started my engine. I had powered things up and everything was working great, until I installed the new HIC as per the recent SB. After installing the HIC, everything behaved as you are describing it.

For me the issue ended up being the solder sleeve connection not being properly heated in order to make a complete connection. I'm talking about the connection between K7022 and K7124 in the engine compartment right before the X3 connector. Like you I had continuity on that circuit, but the new HIC wasn't liking that connection.

With the help of some more knowledgable friends (and Van's support) we were able to disassemble the solder sleeve connection and discover that it wasn't melted correctly. We were able to temporarily connect the two wires with a jumper and things again powered up normally.

I'm awaiting the arrival of one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV15KU2Co70

for the permanent fix.

I had what sounds like a similar issue. Like you, I've not yet started my engine. I had powered things up and everything was working great, until I installed the new HIC as per the recent SB. After installing the HIC, everything behaved as you are describing it.

For me the issue ended up being the solder sleeve connection not being properly heated in order to make a complete connection. I'm talking about the connection between K7022 and K7124 in the engine compartment right before the X3 connector. Like you I had continuity on that circuit, but the new HIC wasn't liking that connection.

With the help of some more knowledgable friends (and Van's support) we were able to disassemble the solder sleeve connection and discover that it wasn't melted correctly. We were able to temporarily connect the two wires with a jumper and things again powered up normally.

I'm awaiting the arrival of one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV15KU2Co70

for the permanent fix.

Interesting! I will check that out tomorrow!

It sounds like the ECU is getting power OK since the Lane A/B warning lights illuminate, then extinguish after a few seconds then Lane A/Lane B are turned on -- that is expected. You can try activating the EMS Battery Backup (big red switch by fuel pumps) -- that should have no effect at all if the ECU is getting power OK.

I assume the G3x can see the GEA24 OK (it shows up as a line item, along with each servo, magnetometer, ahars, etc, when the G3x is in Config mode). If you can see Battery Amps, Battery Voltage, and Spar Pin alert [when a spar pin is removed] on the G3x, then the GEA24 is talking to the G3x OK. So the only thing that is left is the CAN bus signals between the ECU and the GEA24. These go through both the big HIC connectors from the ECU and into the HIC module. Then out the HIC module and to the GEA24.

You can check that all the pins are seated properly in the HIC module's d-sub. It will be pin #1 & 2. While you're looking at the HIC module, be sure that both big HIC connectors are fully seated. And the 3 connectors to the ECU are fully seated and locked. And on the GEA24, it'll be pin #17 & 33 of the larger D-sub closest to the firewall. Sometimes the pins arent inserted fully when they make the connectors at Stein. Also, its possible that Stein swapped pin 1 & 2.. or 17 & 33.. so.. measure continuity, as you did, but also ensure that pin 2 goes to pin 33; 1 goes to pin 17.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions. The pins gave me hope, but I just verified that all pins going into the HIC are fully seated and so are the pins in the large EMS connector going into the GEA 24. I've also been turning the EMS Battery Backup on, per Van's support, for the belt and suspenders approach I guess. Additionally, I reflowed the solder on the joint mentioned by subpar_bucker.

No joy.

What's left? Bad HIC module? I have not done the SB to replace it yet. Bad ECU? Bad connectors on the ECU? I haven't touched those since they are cycle-limited.

Is there anything in the engine-side fuse box to check? All I can see through the cover are green lights and I don't see any fuses lit up.

I will of course be trying Van's Support again today.

Mystery solved. I must've been asleep when I did the first continuity check, because I checked again today and found that Stein had the pins swapped between the Maintenance Port CAN and EMS CAN.

I have engine instruments! :D

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Excellent news! 9/10 times it's a minor Stein problem.. like subpar_bucker's subpar solder splice, or my backed-out pins, or a HI/LO datapair that got reversed.

In your case, I believe by swapping the EMS CAN and Maintenance CAN, as Stein did, would actually have worked.. but one uses the white/blue wire as HI and the other uses white/blue as low... Just how Vans designed it.. so it was getting the signal, just reversed.

Not sure when you got your harness, but there was a Service Letter a couple years ago regarding the maintenance Port. I'm sure this had been performed on all affected harnesses by now.. just a FYI for others reading this thread in the future:

ID
SL-00009
DATE POSTED
May 5, 2020
APPLIES TO
RV-12iS with WH-00133, WH-00134, or WH-00136 harnesses shipping prior to Jan. 6, 2020.
DESCRIP*TION
912iS Maintenance Port Wiring Update

Back