Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-28-2022, 12:15 PM

Default Uls engine

I finished the empennage. Next week the fuselage and wings (crates) will hopefully arrive. I planned to install the dynon avionics screen and a is engine but I can get a overhauled Uls engine for a fraction of the price of a new is engine. Will I have enough amperage to install the dynon screen and auto pilot??

I know I have to live with carburator heating and lesser torgue. Can I use the wire harness VANís supplies? And the engine sensors?
Old 10-28-2022, 01:00 PM

Standard 912 charging system output is 18 amps max.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, Shorai- RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 460.7 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiy...g2GvQfelECCGoQ

Old 10-28-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter houpt View Post
I finished the empennage. Next week the fuselage and wings (crates) will hopefully arrive. I planned to install the dynon avionics screen and a is engine but I can get a overhauled Uls engine for a fraction of the price of a new is engine. Will I have enough amperage to install the dynon screen and auto pilot??

I know I have to live with carburator heating and lesser torgue. Can I use the wire harness VANís supplies? And the engine sensors?
The 12iS version of the kit was initially offered with the option to use the ULS engine, so the charge power output should not be a problem (and for the most part, the current electrical system has the same power consumption as what the legacy (ULS engine) airplane had as long as you don't add things like a second landing light, IFR navigator, etc.).
I don't see the ULS engine as an option on the current power plant kit order form but it is still a selection option on the avionics kit order form.
There were some slight differences in the electrical system and switch panels for the avionics kit for the ULS engine, so you would need to talk with someone in the office and confirm that is still available, and then make sure that is what you order.

One thing to keep in mind. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
The quoted price for the power plant kit is all inclusive. It contains everything you need to install the engine and make it ready to fly with the exception of engine coolant. So it comes with prop., exhaust, radiators, fuel and oil hoses, engine controls, heater heat muff and hoses, etc., etc., etc.
All of the other stuff besides just the engine adds up to a lot of $$$ and a lot of times people don't fully account for how much it really is. The gallons per hour fuel saving difference with the 912iS over the ULS is also very real and will help to offset some of the cost difference as well.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
Formerly of Van's Aircraft Engineering Prototype Shop
FAA/DAR
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")