Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 10-26-2022, 11:52 AM

Default Adequate Flare?

I'm trying to flare 3/8" fuel lines using the Imperial 2-piece flaring tool & a couple drops of oil. I've practice at least 20 flares, and I think I must be doing something wrong.

I've watched several videos, followed the VAF threads as well as the instructions that come with the tool and section 5 of the KAI. I've tried cranking on the tool both lightly and as hard as I can. I've tried starting with the end of the tubing flush with the top of tool and with it slightly above it.

Attached below are photos of my best flare next to a T.S. Flightlines flare (on the right), and I'm obviously not getting as much of a "neck" on my flares. The last photo is my flare with a sleeve.

My questions are whether my flares are likely to be adequate or not. If not, any tips would be appreciated. I'm also wondering if I just need to break down and buy the Rolo-Flare tool which is the alternative flaring tool carried by Aircraft Spruce.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8673.jpeg
Views:	94
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	32810  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8674.jpeg
Views:	120
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	32811  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8675.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	32812  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8676.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	32813  
VAF Donation Made June 2022

Last edited by bshawco : 11-15-2022 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:05 PM

Confirm that the Imperial tool is a 37 degree flare type.
Other than setting the tube a bit deeper in the tool so the 'neck' ends up same outside diameter as the blue sleeve, should be good.
Old 10-26-2022, 02:51 PM

It looks to me like that tube wasn't inserted far enough in the tool. Those circular marks on the exterior of the cone look like it was probably smooshed into the die part of the flaring bar.

You mentioned cranking it down, but typically you don't want to bottom out the cone point in the socket. Certainly if you crank it down like I think you mean, you're weakening that flare where it has a good chance of cracking radially in the transitions back into the unflared portion of the tube.

From the time the cone makes contact with the tube, it should take about 1/2 dozen cranks on the handle to create a proper flare and that should happen before the flare cone starts to crush the flare into the chamfer on the flaring bar. If it doesn't, then you likely didn't have it inserted far enough.
Fuselage almost done
Avionics almost done
90% done, 90% to go
https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blprojec...t=all&listcat=
Old 10-26-2022, 03:36 PM

The directions for the tool suggest that the tube should stick out of the bar to approximately the same thickness as the foot of the flaring tool (the part with the crank in it. That foot is something more than 1/4”. In other words, the tube sticks “way out” of the bar and the flaring action never gets close to the bar. With my tool I have found that 3/8 tubing is best flared with seven half turns of the handle from the first contact.
Old 10-26-2022, 04:14 PM

Default Check out these instructions

I have the same tool. If you go to the Imperial website https://imperial-tools.com/support/instruction-manuals/ you will see a number of manuals.

The one I have is the 500 series and even though the description of the manuals says 45 deg the instructions are the same as the 37 deg model.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 10-26-2022, 04:51 PM

Typically, the flare should be about 1/2 the width of the flared part of the sleeve. Yep, takes some practice. Extend the tube out from the flare die about .060 and try again. Should be about perfect.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7A Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan, on hold while we develop new products for RV builders
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 10-26-2022, 05:59 PM

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. The 37 deg flair tool I have is the Imperial 437-FB Hi-Duty model.

After more practice today, the best looking flares I've gotten were when I had about 1/4" of tubing above the yoke. The instructions for this model say the top of the tubing should be flush with the top of the yoke. One video suggests the top of the tube be about 1/64" above the top of the yoke. I'm hoping more practice will do the trick.
VAF Donation Made June 2022
Old 10-26-2022, 07:44 PM

Didn't see any mention above , but I have problems similar to some of your pictures if the cut off end to be flared is not reamed out sufficient. Or sometime cut with a set of cutters with too much pressure on the roller at the final rounds of the cut. Some of the pictures looks as if the cut end may have rolled into the flare formation which will make a substandard flare connection and poor seal. Maybe not as much of a flare formation operation as a cut and prep operation.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:27 AM

See this thread. The included chart is a good reference to determine if your flare is within acceptable limits.

https://vansairforce.net/community/s...88&postcount=6

I have this chart taped to my hangar wall for reference. It takes the guesswork out of it. I'm sure like many other things once you are more experienced then you probably don't need to confirm with the chart.
Sensenich Composite 3 Blade Propeller
RV-7 Fuselage in progress
* Cabin Interior - In progress
RV-7 SB Wings
* Both Wings fully skinned
* Fuel Tanks Complete - No leaks finally
* Ailerons Complete
* Flaps Complete
RV-7 Empennage - Complete (a little fiberglass work left)
Vans Training Kit # 2 - Complete
RV-7 Preview Plans
Vans Training Kit #1 - Complete
EAA Sheet Metal Class - Complete
Old 10-27-2022, 09:41 AM
unfluencer

Default Sorry.....couldn't resist

v/r,dr <G>
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VAFDR_ 1115 Oct. 27 09.40.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	32867  
  • Part time: G450/550 and Phenom 300 seat support at CAE (KDFW).