Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2022, 10:43 AM

Default SB-00058 - HIC Module (note: replaced SB-00041)

We have published Service Bulletin SB-00058, which supersedes and replaces SB-00041. Owners who already have executed or are planning to execute SB-00041 should instead refer to and follow the instructions in SB-00058. The timeframe for compliance with SB-00058 is at or before the next condition inspection.

This bulletin describes steps to replace the RV-12iS HIC module on RV-12iS aircraft with avionics kits shipped prior to August 2022. A kit is available to RV-12iS customers, which contains the parts needed to replace the HIC module. This action is considered safety-related since the problem described involves potential interruption of fuel pump electrical power in the HIC module connector. As a safety item, this kit is being sold at-Van's-cost to customers who own RV-12iS aircraft. Parts are in stock as of the date of publication for approximately 200 aircraft.

Note: In the event your existing aircraft wiring harness is not long enough to allow installation of the new connector and attachment to the new HIC module, you can order the WH-00146-1 wire harness extension, which will alleviate the short wire problem. Owners are to assess the need for this in the SB-00058 documentís steps.

An email will be sent directly to affected customers registered in our database, as well.

Building RV-8A since Sept 2014
Dual AFS 5600, Avidyne IFD 440, Whirlwind 74RV, Superior XP IO-360
VAF build thread - Flickr photo album - Project Facebook page
Aurora, OR (EAA Chapter 105)

Old 10-04-2022, 01:41 PM

Default WH-00146-1 contents?

Thanks for posting this. I've already placed my order for the replacement module.

The S.B. mentions possibly needing to order a "WH-00146-1" if the harness needs to be extended. I didn't order one as it appears that my harness may be just long enough. However if I'm wrong and the harness needs to be extended, is there anything more to the WH-00146-1 other than just the appropriate butt splices and wire? (It's a 15 minute drive to Aircraft Spruce, vs waiting for a shipment from the west coast)
Old 10-05-2022, 10:33 AM

Installed the replacement module last weekend. Absolutely rock solid. Well done by Vans on the redesign.
RV12is Owner - N59AM - #121024
Durant, OK (EAA Chapter 323)
Old 10-05-2022, 02:24 PM

Curious to what type of terminal/PN is being used on the wire that interfaces to the connector (looks like the same style connector PMAG uses).

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 2000+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags, MTV-9 prop
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 10-05-2022, 02:32 PM

They just look like wire ferrules

https://www.arrow.com/en/research-an...d-you-use-them
Old 10-06-2022, 09:37 PM

dosent the SB say to insert bare wires into the connector? i was wondering about the use of wire ferrels. are they included in the kit?
Old 10-09-2022, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmax4499 View Post
dosent the SB say to insert bare wires into the connector? i was wondering about the use of wire ferrels. are they included in the kit?
The store listing for the SB-00058 lists the kit contents as:
Code:
(2) AN526C632R6 view
(1) AV-60009-2 view
(1) ES-796859-8
(5) MS21042-06 view
(5) NAS1149FN632P view
(1) TOOL-00114
No ferrules are listed, so I'm assuming none are included. This makes sense as ferrules typically require a specialized crimping tool, that I would guess very few RV-12 builders have.

I did contact support about some other questions I had related to the WH-00146-1 extension. According to the drawing, the WH-00146-1 should come with ferrules pre-crimped to the extension wires.
Old 10-11-2022, 09:13 AM

Greg,

The SB references new procedures in the POH. Has this been updated on the website? The last revision (Rev 8) shows Feb 2022.

I've had an odd phenomenon occurring following the installation of the new HIC module. After the airplane has been sitting for a while (typically overnight), during the start procedure, when the Master is powered on, the fuel pumps won't power on. A quick cycle of the Master solves the issue. Is this normal operation? Is a cycle of the Master required prior to engine start?

Thanks!

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by greghughespdx View Post
We have published Service Bulletin SB-00058, which supersedes and replaces SB-00041. Owners who already have executed or are planning to execute SB-00041 should instead refer to and follow the instructions in SB-00058. The timeframe for compliance with SB-00058 is at or before the next condition inspection.

This bulletin describes steps to replace the RV-12iS HIC module on RV-12iS aircraft with avionics kits shipped prior to August 2022. A kit is available to RV-12iS customers, which contains the parts needed to replace the HIC module. This action is considered safety-related since the problem described involves potential interruption of fuel pump electrical power in the HIC module connector. As a safety item, this kit is being sold at-Van's-cost to customers who own RV-12iS aircraft. Parts are in stock as of the date of publication for approximately 200 aircraft.

Note: In the event your existing aircraft wiring harness is not long enough to allow installation of the new connector and attachment to the new HIC module, you can order the WH-00146-1 wire harness extension, which will alleviate the short wire problem. Owners are to assess the need for this in the SB-00058 documentís steps.

An email will be sent directly to affected customers registered in our database, as well.
RV12is Owner - N59AM - #121024
Durant, OK (EAA Chapter 323)
Old 10-11-2022, 09:52 AM

I'd need to see the new schematics for the new HIC module. I'll map it out if they aren't published before I receive the new module.. but, some electronic components start out in an unknown/indeterminate state and care must be taken to make sure they go into a known state before being used.

Van's electrical guy is pretty good.. but its a possibility i guess.
APRS Track or ADSBExchange Track
Old 10-11-2022, 03:15 PM

I installed mine last week and just finished helping a friend install his. The fuel pumps came on fine after the first power up of the master for both of ours.