What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle-Prop-Mixture Sub Panel

frankd

Well Known Member
Patron
I see a small sub panel on many RV-s, attached to the bottom of the main panel, that houses the throttle, prop and mixture controls. Is this an accessory that can be purchased? Or is it simply a piece of angle fabricated for the sub panel?

Thanks
Frank

It's included in the kit, two identical pieces, one for the control ends you see and the other supporting the cables from the subpanel.

Frank,

There is this after-market throttle bracket available here from Experimental Air: http://www.experimentalair.com/store/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=5

throttlebracket16.jpg

One of the things I don't like about the standard Van's design throttle bracket is the possibility of your leg coming into contact with the edge of the bracket.
The Experimental Air bracket has a rounded edge and a 0.75" flange around the bottom so is nowhere near as sharp.

They also do custom work. I had them make me a two-tier throttle bracket that had room for six controls in two rows of three.

Steve

Pay attention to changes that can affect cable length (such as extending the bottom of the panel and/or flush mounting the cables like the ex air bracket pictured). Vans cables are made to fit the mounting position designed in the plans. If you change it, you risk needing custom cables.

It does depend on the engine chosen and the panel mounting choices since not everybody has the same troubles. On my -M1B and standard height panel I didn't have cable length to give up so flush mounting would not have been good for me. Went with std bracket.

I lowered my entire panel 3/4 inch to make sure I had room for efis and ran the cables through it without having the piece sticking down. It's a modular panel that may be more trouble than its worth but I plan on flying the first year without anything in the radio stack. Hopefully it makes it easier to add to down the road.
C6858CD9-AEC3-4F63-8EAF-716442F1638F-4654-00000295A40A2EEA_zpsda505ed7.jpg

F59AA014-6821-404D-89A8-DECDFB4FDCAB-9199-000004EAA5E6A66A_zps05bceb41.jpg

I agree with Bill about taking care regarding cable lengths. It is pretty straightforward to mount the Experimental Air throttle bracket in a recessed position that aligns with the standard Van's setup. That is what I have done.

I went with the Experimental Air bracket too.

Those rounded corners looked much better to whack my shaven head on than the edge of the Vans bracket!

;) CJ

Back