What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Catto Propeller delivered today!

BruceP

Well Known Member
I can't wait to get my engine, which is supposed to be here next week and get this baby on it! It is painted "Interlagos Blue" (my car color) and is prettier in person than I had even hoped. Great job Craig!

Propellor.jpg

PropellorTip.jpg

Nice!

I thought all of the Catto props were coming now with the metal edges, or is that optional?

I can't answer that question. It did not come with a metal edge nor was one offered to me as an option when I ordered it.

From what I have read the nickel leading edge protection is an option on the new props.

I would also say from my experience while it is beautiful now, don't run it through rain, or mist, or it will not be pretty.

If it were my prop, I would immediately send it back to Craig for retrofit.

Option

When I ordered mine two months ago, I explicitely asked for the nickel leading edge option that is billed $200 per blade.
My prop is now somewhere between Van's and France with the rest of my finish and FWF kits.
Yours is really a beauty, love this blue, can't wait to see mine (dark gray and yellow).

May or may not be the case here, but often Craig will send the prop without the leading edge until he's sure that the pitch is "right" for your situation.

Slight thread drift - re-pitching a Catto?

Mel mentioned that Catto may not have put nickel edging on because it may need to be re-pitched. Question - how can a wood/composite blade be re-pitched??

Mel mentioned that Catto may not have put nickel edging on because it may need to be re-pitched. Question - how can a wood/composite blade be re-pitched??

Craig re-pitched mine. He simply adds or removes material to get the angles he's looking for. I don't think it takes much modification to make small pitch changes. He re-paints it and your set. My re-pitch is perfect. I sent him my static and max rpm's and he tuned it well.

I'm planning to do my first flights with a CATTO 2 blade, collect the data and order a 3 blade.
Has anyone done this?
I built the RV-8 at home, and a 3 blade wouldn't fit in the garage with the plane on the gear.
Now I'm out at the airport, confirming flight controls and final assembling the flap actuator system.
This is really a fun time to be working on an RV!! So close!!

Yes. Please confirm the cost of the nickel leading edge. I recall it being less than what was quoted earlier. Thanks.

Yes. Please confirm the cost of the nickel leading edge. I recall it being less than what was quoted earlier. Thanks.

I apologize for forgetting to ask about pricing. I get the impression he has worked out the bugs of the new edges and pricing is adjusted accordingly. They seem to be a little longer and wider now. The many props he makes for the Alaskan market have driven a lot of these improvements.

Had a great visit today and wow does he have some interesting stuff going on. There was a Paul Lipps design in the works for an RV-10 that should be interesting. I'm not sure that design is so good given that almost all the racers at Reno using them before don't any more. Just the fastest Bi-plane which is fast with anything on it!

Great guy, great product. His knowledge of props continues to grow. Showed us some little improvements he's worked out in shape and air flow that keeps making better props every day. Can't wait to get a new one some day but mine is still plugging along just fine for now.

Update from Craig

I asked Craig to take a look at this thread and comment, here is his response:

"Hello Bruce,

The nickel edges are an option? you will have to pull back to 2200rpm in rain to prevent erosion. With the Nickel edges, there are zero limitations.

It is not a cheap option either.. they are expensive. WE can re-pitch after you fly the aircraft and decide exactly how you want the engine rpm to operate. At that time is easy to install the Nickel if you wish.

So my advise, move forward and get the plane flying. Avoid rain and or pull the revs back to 2200 in rain. Then after you put 30 or 40 hours on the airframe, we can then install the Nickel and re-pitch if needed."

Regards,

Craig Catto

[email protected]

www.cattoprops.com

Sounds like good advice, Bruce.

Craig makes a terrific product as you can see. In my experience you just could not expect it to stand up to running in moisture. The propguard tape worked well but I could not get it to adhere to the curved tip and thus the curved tip would erode - paint, glass too. I really wanted Craig to offer the leading edge nickel years ago when I got mine. If he did when I converted to the MT prop, I likely would have purchased one from Craig as I loved his prop except my type of flying (all weather) was just too rough on it.

If there is any chance at all you will fly through any moisture at all including mist I would say the extra cost of the nickel is money very well spent.

Prop me up!

Hi Bruce,
I have been flying Catto props for 15 years, my first one was the 1st RV 2blade ever. His rain advice is dead on. I am currrently testing his newest 2 blade on my RVX. The nickel leading edge works as advertised. The new airfoil is the best part, far superior to the original. Lots of low end pull at 2200 on takeoff but the magic occurs at 100 Knots. 1600 fpm, 2350 rpm all the way to 5000". In the higher altitudes it climbs at 2450 to 10000 feet from 5000 feet at 500-800 fpm. This with 150hp. Cruise @ 170 TAS 2700 rpm, 8.6 Gph.
Service post sale is per excellence.
Hard to beat:)

Smokey

Back