What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How do you remove vortex generators?

wrongway john

Well Known Member
Bought a 6 with these on them, and they appear to be super glued on, so don?t know of any easy way to get them off. Anybody have any experience with this or recommendations?

If it is Super Glue, there is a debonding agent that you can buy. It is usually used when someone accidentally glues their fingers together. :eek: I have found it at the local model shop.

Super Glue?

Yes, amusing stories from the emergency room concerning super glue. Often they involve men who seriously agitate their wives, then find themselves unconscious and unable to defend themselves. These stories require adult beverages and gatherings of aviators.

:eek:

Acetone

I believe the "de-bonding" agent is acetone. Give that a try - but as the directions always say... try in an inconspicuous place first :D

Any idea what performance enhancement they provide? Is it worth leaving them on?

Is it worth leaving them on?

Transparent on polished they look hot! :D

vortexgens.jpg

vortexgens1.jpg

vortexgenerators.jpg

I could live with the way the looked if the performance was there and didn't affect cruise speeds. Vlad, yours look great.

I?ll look for some debonding agent. It looks like it will still be tough to work in around the VG?s to remove them, but will study it some more. I'll put a stripe of some sorts down the wing where they once were.

Any idea what performance enhancement they provide? Is it worth leaving them on?

I don?t know what the plane did before they were on since I bought the plane like this, but my instructor and I did some testing a few days ago (temperature sixties) with stalls to get some numbers on it. Here are the results we got with about a 1,650 gross weight. Indicated airspeed showed:

60 mph no flaps
55 mph 20 degree flaps
50 mph full flaps

I suppose that is okay, don?t know what others are getting with or without them. Flying solo should be better. For cruising and top speed, others I've read say it's about 0-3 mph slower here. I suspect the latter number is more accurate, but don't really know yet.

It?ll be a spring project, but the day I remove them, I plan on taking it up one more time to get numbers before and after.

Model Shop

A local RC model shop that handles Cyanacrolate glues will have debonder. I keep some in my shop. Hobbytown....places like that.

My experience with certified planes shows the best way to remove them is to let passengers "mill" around the plane wearing winter clothes. Works great for citation static wicks also.

You might try some dental floss as a saw. I use that on RTV'ed stuff and it works well. May well be too weak for your purposes. Maybe really fine nylon thread? Could get a start on the edge so the debonder can get under them?

Now that, I didn’t think of! Thanks, I was afraid I might have to attempt it with a razor blade with some debonder on it, but was afraid I would have dug into the skins that way.

I am GUESSING that if you check cruise speed before and after removal the change will be so insignificant that your instruments will not be accurate enough to measure it.

Right now the plane looks great, maybe not true after removal and the inevitable scuffing/scratching.

I'd just leave them on.

Difluoroethane

Super glue (if it is) Does not do well in extreme cold. Use a can of dust remover (can of air) upside down, squirt the raw juice (Difluoroethane) on and try to pop it off with a plier. Carefull it is cold!

Last edited:
or....if most other glues....?

I was just about to suggest that a heat gun will soften a lot of adhesives, especially the 3M tapes that come with many of these VG kits.
If you do manage to pop off the VG, and the adhesive is all left behind, don't forget the adhesive remover 'wheel' may be better than solvents and scraping!

A heat gun and dental floss is used to remove auto emblems, followed by an adhesive remover like Goo off. The floss is used to "saw" under the item while it is heated.

Roberta

Back