What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Navaid Problems

rdayton1

My Navaid never worked veary good and now it has gotten worse. Is there any one out there that knows if it can be repared or not? To get it to fly on wings level it has to be adjusted so it shows 3 or 4 bars to the right of center. That is not correct. This unit is no longer built or serviced. Thanks, Dick

navaid help

Dick, can't help on repair, but I do have a new, never installed Navaid head. If interested give me a call 419-656-1077

My Navaid never worked veary good and now it has gotten worse. Is there any one out there that knows if it can be repared or not? To get it to fly on wings level it has to be adjusted so it shows 3 or 4 bars to the right of center. That is not correct. This unit is no longer built or serviced. Thanks, Dick

I found I was able to recenter by putting the unit on the bench and moving the gyro motor in its mount until the bars were centered when power was applied. After a couple of times I glued the motor so it wouldn't move in the mount.

Trio Avionics EZ-Pilot

You are aware that EZ-Pilot is compatable with the Navaid servos right? Do you have a GPS signal? I did this a couple of years ago and will advocate for the EZ-Pilot. You need to have GPS output NMEA 0183 from some GPS.

Ditto on the Trio

I have replaced 3 navaids with Trio units on all of the planes I purchased. There is no comparison in the way performance was improved. It's well worth the money.
Woodman

I've had a Navaid for years and never felt like upgrading because I've found they work very well. It takes a little bit of finesse to get them going in the right direction when first engaged but once one learns how to deal with their quirks its not a big deal.

In this case its just a matter of adjusting the bias on the springs as Larry states.

I've had a Navaid for years and never felt like upgrading because I've found they work very well. It takes a little bit of finesse to get them going in the right direction when first engaged but once one learns how to deal with their quirks its not a big deal.

In this case its just a matter of adjusting the bias on the springs as Larry states.

But it sure is nice to just push the button on the quirkless EZ-Pilot and have the plane always go in the right direction with no finesse needed. Took me about thirty seconds to be totally spoiled after replacing my Navaid with a Trio. :)

Last edited:
Ditto David

Navaid (second hand) working fine after 6 years. That extra $1,200 for a Trio buys a lot of fuel. Got an extra head for $150 and the servo is easily repairable if and when it gives problems.
You guys with the fancy, expensive stuff have it good. But rubbing our faces in it isn't so cool.... :cool:
Economy has a big place in experimental aviation. Nothing wrong with Navaid. I'd love better but right now it's a waste of money for me.

Back