What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moving to Howell, MI Area

longranger

Well Known Member
I've already found a temporary home for my RV-7 project while we get relocated to Michigan, but I'm having trouble finding a short-term (hopefully no more than 3-4 months) place to live while we look for a home.

Does anyone know of any apartment complexes within say, an hour of Howell that offer short term leases? Also helpful might be some places to stay clear of.:eek:

Thanks in advance for any help offered!

Last edited:
You will love flying around the lakes! There are many great towns to explore by air in Michigan and Howell is a great location.

Best of luck with the move!

Just be sure to steer clear of Detroit and Flint. I'm from Flint and I dread it when I go back to visit family. Howell looks like a decent town, and a balloon fest in late June.

Welcome to Michigan

Welcome to Michigan!

I live in south east lower (you have to specify in Michigan - also upper). About an hour south of Howell.

You might try Ann Arbor for a short term lease, or sub-lease for the summer. University of Michigan is there and lots of students move out for the summer and back early September. Summer months should have some vacancies.

Miles, check your email. We have just over 2000 apartments in East Lansing - but it is student housing. It is not what you would say, "Quiet Living"!! Ha!

Moving To Brighton

There's a big change in weather and terrain from Tehachapi to Howell! But there are lots of airplane people around the area and you will be right at home. Many of us have built RVs. You should be able to find some short term housing right there near Howell, probably in the area of M-59 between the Howell Airport and US-23. Keep networking and you'll find something. Welcome to Michigan

Thanks for all the info and welcomes, guys! I am looking forward to leaving the sprinkler nazis behind and being back where water is still considered a renewable resource, even if I have to get used to somewhat longer winters and navigating without mountains and 100-mi visibility.

From the dearth of one-bedroom apartments for short-term lease, I assume that I'm one of very few who are relocating TO Michigan, and only needs a place to stay dry for a few months while they look for a real house. The best leads so far have come from right here on VAF!

Let me add another "welcome to Michigan" ! Howell is a great area, one of Michigan's best airports. Ann Arbor also has a lot of EAA type activity as does Jackson. Don't be scared of Flint and Detroit, just don't go there. GM's exodus of Flint has left LARGE bare paved spot where once stood some of the greatest automotive manufacturers. There is that flying in a milk bottle syndrome on warm humid days. Plenty of places to fly to for sure. Mackinac Island is one place that you can fly to that even cars aren't allowed.

Last edited:
I can't reply specifically, but I found www.padmapper.com a great resource for finding rented accommodation when moving to a new area.
Set location and the filters for price, bedrooms etc and start browsing.

Let me add another "welcome to Michigan" ! Howell is a great area, one of Michigan's best airports. Ann Arbor also has a lot of EAA type activity as does Jackson. Don't be scared of Flint and Detroit, just don't go there. GM's exodus of Flint has left LARGE bare paved spot where once stood some of the greatest automotive manufacturers. There is that flying in a milk bottle syndrome on warm humid days. Plenty of places to fly to for sure. Mackinac Island is one place that you can fly to that even cars aren't allowed.

Thanks John! We've looked around both Ann Arbor and Howell, and I think Livingston county is going to offer the most of what we're looking for in terms of setting and cost of living. I've made contact with several guys from both airports, as well as others in the area, and they all seem like great folks. I look forward to meeting all of you!

My wife is from Ann Arbor, we got married in Dexter, and spent part of our honeymoon on Mackinac Island. As soon as my 170 gets out of rebuild, Mackinac Island will probably be one of our first trips.

Pardon my Southern accent, but "see y'all in about a month!"

Another airport to consider in the area is the Hyne airport (45G). There are individual owned hangars and occasionally go on the market. I think there are houses with access as well.

My daughter works/lives on the island. The 140 and the RV both know the way. Great place to fly to.

Back