What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FAA Registration Bill of Sale Question

Junglepilot

Well Known Member
I am at the point where I am almost ready for my DAR inspection [finally]. Already have my N-number reserved.

That said, the paperwork from Ok City has me a bit confused. I understand the basic registration piece, very straightforward. I am registering my plane as built from parts and not a kit. Here's why:

I am the 3rd owner of this project. The original purchaser of kit from Vans died and the kit was sold to another guy in Florida who worked on the project a few years than had to move and decided he would sell the project. I bought it.

But the bill of sale has me a bit stumped. Wondering if someone else out there has been down this road before.

I have a very complete bill of sale from the man I BOUGHT THE PROJECT FROM listing everything I bought. But I do not have a bill of sale from Van's. In other words I don't have a bill of sale like the FAA paperwork seem to want.

What I bought (besides the basic fuse, wings, emp) included engine (non-certified but basically all new parts), new zero time prop (Sensenich) all finishing kits, and a ton of extras. All in all a great deal.

What do I do? :confused:

Send them a copy of BOS I have from the previous project owner? If you are up to speed on this unique situation (which I am willing to bet more than a few of you have been through), just PM me and we can chat.

If you can answer here feel free.

Hope this was clear, just trying to get the paperwork off too FAA quickly and do it once to.

Thanks!

Phone Van's aircraft and ask them for a "Bill of Sale". They should send you an FAA Bill of sale where they cross out Aircraft and write KIT. This is assuming that the kit S/N was transferred to you when you purchased the parts previously built.

IMHO, the built from parts is more for PLANS built airplanes. If you use KIT on the 8050-88 form, Van's Bill of Sale says RV, you can still put the 'aircraft model' is a "Your name Special" on the FAA 8050-1 registration form. (Make sure you PRINT your name under your signature on the 8050-1.)

Yep,.. What he said

A lot of us that did not buy the kit from Van's,....got the "official" bill of sale from them, just so we could turnaround and send in the paperwork to FAA.

Yep seems odd,.... But if :)you signed off the waiver and have bought things from them,... They will get that BOS to you with no question, worry, problem,... Etc

And then there was...

..my case. Van's never gave me a BOS and the subject was never brought up. DAR Frank Sneed passed her and FAA happily sent my new registration.

I have since sold that gorgeous -6a to a member here with no issues.

Now, when I bought and sold another project I had to show the complete chain of registration from the Van's to the
builder to his insurance co, to me then on to my buyer. Go figger...

Jerry

Last edited:
Transfer of builder number

Sandy,
I did just as you have done, bought a kit and parts 3rd hand. I transferred the Van's builder number to my name. Van's wanted a copy of the bill of sale from the prior registered builder and their waiver form signed. It's my understanding that after that transfer they will give me a Van's bill of sale for the kit (when I am ready for it). I won't request it early because it's my understanding that they only issue it once for a given builder number.

Thanks!

OK, I got it. Since posting have spent about 6-8 hrs/day at the hangar getting this plane ready. I will call Van's this week and get the BOS.

Pretty cool finally to be at a point where there is little left to do except tinker. That will have to wait until after first flight.

Goal is first flight in July or so.

Thanks again,

Sandy

Sandy, give me a call and I can walk you through the process. It'd be nice to catch up a little bit too.

Back