What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Auto plugs?

I ran auto plugs on my IO-540 with Bendix mags for many hours before developing the G3i ignition system. I have sold harness kits to customers that still have a mag on one side and EI on the other that have converted the stock mag to run auto plugs also.
Here?s a link to convert the standard mag harness to automotive type wires and plugs. Here?s a link on how to do the modification. http://www.g3ignition.com/magmod.html

Thomas S.

Auto Plugs

I have been using Autolite 386 plugs with an 18 mm diameter thread in my Lycoming O-235-L2C for over 10 years with no problems.

I gap the plugs to 0.018" for the magneto and 0.035" for the electronic ignition.

I bought a new set at the local auto parts store this weekend for $2.05 each, and I see them for as little at $1.50 on the web. Every 2 years I pull them out and throw them away.

Steve

frm-386_w.jpg

Last edited:
Autolite 386

Steve, what fuel are you running with those plugs? Did you make your own harness?

I mostly burn 100LL, but several years ago I burned a lot of premium auto gas (in cruise) when I had a trusted supply. I put 100LL in one tank and premium auto in the second. I took off and landed using 100LL. These plugs have worked well in all cases.

Yes, I made my own harness.

Steve

I use Champion D9s. They are 18 mm. No adapters, no detonation, I used adapters for years with all kinds of plugs with nothing but trouble. Went to d16 plugs but they were too hot and I got detonation above 11000 ft.. Went to d9 and problem solved... No problems up to FL 180....

Tailwinds
Doug Rozendaal
F1 io-540. 9.5-1 pistons.

Back