What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any one Using Lamb Tires? SamJames Fairing

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
Any one with experience using Lamb Tires for mains on RV-7 (tail dragger)?
I am also using Sam James wheel fairing (for lamb tires).

Any speed numbers? I figure a MPH or three at cruise?
How are they on soft field if you dare?

The 5x5 is already a small tire for a 1800 lb tail dragger. There have been several
RV-7A's flip due to folding nose gear, and a few (less but a few) taildraggers, most
if not all related to soft fields. I don't think the size difference is great, any one know?

The Lamb 11X4.00x5 is not drastically smaller than a 5.00x5 (I don't think)?
(Note: I see Desser makes a 11/400-5 8 Ply Aero Classic Aircraft Tire, Van's sells,
better quality 8 plys.)

06-07600.jpg

This tire fills the size gap between the 5.00-5 aircraft tire and
the 3.40-5 industrial tire. Looks like a scaled-down 5.00-5. Fits
VariEze, KR's and most experimentals using 5" wheels. Formerly
known as Lamb tires, these are manufactured by Cheng-Shin

Last edited:
I recently swapped out all my tires on my 8A. I replaced the nose Lamb tire with the 8 ply rating tire from Desser and it's a heavier tire for sure and the same exact size. ( it says "made in Viet Nam" though). :rolleyes:

103ap2g.jpg

The worn out diameters are 10.5" and 13"

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

RV6 lamb tires

have a rv6 1099 empty flying with lamb tires as main tires wit lightspeed wheelpants have no reported problems

What to do?

have a rv6 1099 empty flying with lamb tires as main tires wit lightspeed wheelpants have no reported problems

I am a little worried about having them on my RV-7 with O360 and Hartzell prop.... I am keeping it light but the gross weight is still 1800 lbs vs 1600 lbs for RV6.... With fuel and passenger it might stress the lambs.

The tires are only rated for .... about 775 lbs I recall.

The other concern is landing of soft fields... there have been a few TG's flip over on soft fields...... I am still deciding what to do. I have the Lambs and the fairing.

Last edited:
I recently swapped out all my tires on my 8A. I replaced the nose Lamb tire with the 8 ply rating tire from Desser and it's a heavier tire for sure and the same exact size. ( it says "made in Viet Nam" though). :rolleyes:
The worn out diameters are 10.5" and 13"

Paul Danclovic
Jamestown NC
RV-8A N181SB

Thanks for the pics.... those 5x5 air-hawks look down right massive next to the Lamb.

Thanks, I called Desser .... and they told me it's only rated for about 775 lbs each... so 2 x 775 = 1550 lbs. I recall that is what the 8 ply lambs were rated for (now Cheng-Shin).

I might sell the lambs and get the Desser. based on what you are saying. I asked where there were made..... yep Viet Nam.

The other choice is go back to stick 5.00x5... and bigger faring... 11 verses 13 will make a few MPH difference but a blow out or "digging in" on a soft strip and flipping would be a bummer.... (it's a TG RV-7, but TG's can flip as well).

Did you notice of the Lamb said 4 Ply or 6 Ply... because the Lamb did come in an 8 Ply...

Last edited:
Don't expect much of an increase in speed due to the smaller tires and fairings. A friend did it on a nice fast RV4 and was very disappointed.

Lambs ne: Cheng Shin

A lot of us canards use them and have seen some improvement with both them and the improved wheel pants. A canard aerodynamics guru created the first mold for them and Sam sells the results.
The tires are amazing for how small they are. I've only got about 45 hours on Cheng shins and never had any problems. Mine don't wear that well but my wheels are not that well aligned. But at $25 it's not such a big deal to change them. The new ones from Dresser are also designed for tubeless applications but at well over twice the price.
Good luck George!
PS: We NEVER land on a soft surface with them. Even pushing on soft grass is a drag....literally :D

Back