What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

odyssey PC680 Battery

Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
We are finalizing the electrical and the plan is to go with 2 PC680 Odyssey batteries. One will be the main and the other the Aux power.

I am looking for feedback on the performance of the 680 for cranking power etc. in the RV-10. Or any other comments before I finalize the purchase.

Thanks

We are finalizing the electrical and the plan is to go with 2 PC680 Odyssey batteries. One will be the main and the other the Aux power.

I am looking for feedback on the performance of the 680 for cranking power etc. in the RV-10. Or any other comments before I finalize the purchase.

Thanks

There is a thread on the AeroElectric forum on Matronics as we type.

Summary to date:

Ensure your batteries are functional and fully charged.

Sky-Tech recommends using the 149-NL starter as oppose to the 149-12LS that Vans/Lycoming provides. It doesn't require as much current to turn.

I had converted to a PC925 to overcome some issues with my Aymar Demuth prop (O-360).

In June when I thought the battery was getting old I went back to a PC680 and changed from the Skytec LS model to the NL (122 tooth for me).

The 680 works great with this starter in an O-360. May not help prove that it will work on an O-540.

Last edited:
I am running a 925 for my main battery, and a 680 for my aux.

I have a switch to couple the two batteries in case I grind down the main trying to start the engine, but to date I have not had to use that feature.

I do throw the switch once in a while just to confirm it is working, but that is all so far.

Bill,

TAKE CAREFUL NOTE............MIKE GOT IT RIGHT!

Use a 680 as your emergency power or when on the ground running stuff, keep the 925 fresh for starting and running.

I can email you my electric drawings if you want some ideas on how we seperated and did things.

DB

PC-680 has been well discussed on this and other forums and seems to be just fine for starting up to O-360's for several years. Mike has my last one, probably used on his golf cart.....
Maybe the 925 is better for that big engine as he suggests?

Last edited:
PC-680 has been well discussed on this and other forums and seems to be just fine for starting up to O-360's for several years. Mike has my last one, probably used on his golf cart.....
Maybe the 925 is better for that big engine as he suggests?

Dont have a golf cart.

Jet ski is the new home of that battery.

Thanks again David.

Seems to me.

I don't see why a 680 wouldn't be adequate...after all, they're the same cylinders and pistons in an IO-540 as an IO-360, just two extra ones. The starter has to overcome the same compression pressures in either case.

Best,

I have the same setup as Mike Starkey... 925 main/680 aux. Look at any certified plane with an 6 cyl and you will most likely not see a 16aH but a 35 aH battery. Also run #1 ga or larger wire instead of #2 and any starter you choose will work better and last longer.

It takes more to crank the IO-540 due to more internal friction and larger prop blade area.

I use a 680 to crank a IO360 with 10 to 1 compression. Works great. I have left the aircraft for 3 weeks not on a charger and it fires right up. I would think with 10 to 1 compression it would be close to a IO540.

George

I use the mate to a 680 in our Cessna 180, with the O-470. It spins it just as well as the bigger one that was in it. (Of course, it is now 15" from the starter instead of 15')

One thing I usually dont see mentioned is the fact the 10 has a rear mounted battery requiring a long feed to the starter.

There is a lot more line loss in a 10, and the larger battery gives me more reserve to deal with that.

Besides, it came with the project when I bought it:D

Thanks for all the replies! I am going with the 925L Odyssey, which is the sideways version of the 925 for the main battery, which will fit in the Vans existing tray, and the 680 for the backup battery.

Just for reference

I have started my engine with one 680 in the back just to see if it could and had no problem. Many of the aerobatic guys are starting their high compression engines with one 680 but like Mike mentioned there is more loss in the -10 but I don't think it is too much I^2*R.

With more and more electrical load these days, in the event of an alternator failure, you need to consider the battery life to an alternate. Not so much an issue in the USA where these are usually within 10 minutes at any time, but in remote areas, at night or in IMC you may want a more reliable source for a fair bit longer.

And then have a backup as well.:)

Back