What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help with regulator(?)

matt

Well Known Member
I have what I asume is a standard early honda alt/adjustable regulator setup.

I had a a problem with the alternator not charging.
After some troubleshooting I found out that 'shorting' the regulator gave me a 35A charge, so I asumed I had a regulator failure.

Bringing the unit home I get curious and wonder if I did a misstake:

Hooking the regulator up to a 'cube' (1-16V), the FLD reads -0.1 volt of whatever i put into the regulator.
The resistance of the regulator goes from 1300 ohm to infinate as soon as I power up the cube, no matter what the voltage on the 'in' side is and no matter what the position of the adjustment.

What is the correct function of the/a regulator? Is it at all possible to check it like this? Maybe it need a specific FLD load etc?

Last edited:
I have what I asume is a standard early honda alt/adjustable regulator setup.

I had a a problem with the alternator not charging.
After some troubleshooting I found out that 'shorting' the regulator gave me a 35A charge, so I asumed I had a regulator failure.

Bringing the unit home I get curious and wonder if I did a misstake:

Hooking the regulator up to a 'cube' (1-16V), the FLD reads -0.1 volt of whatever i put into the regulator.
The resistance of the regulator goes from 1300 ohm to infinate as soon as I power up the cube, no matter what the voltage on the 'in' side is and no matter what the position of the adjustment.

What is the correct function of the/a regulator? Is it at all possible to check it like this? Maybe it need a specific FLD load etc?

Matt, if you don't want to skip the trouble of troubleshooting the regulator, buy a regulator at your local auto parts store for a 1975 Ford LTD (less than $15.00). It will work great with your alternator.

I'm in a part of the world right now where the cheapest available regulator is close to 100$.. And I have a long way to the airport so the troubleshooting seemed worthwhile.
But I am heading towards the parts store now, can't see it could be anything else.

Back