What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Off Airport Permanent Tiedowns

Vlad

Well Known Member
Due to upcoming work on the runway and parking I will relocate my aircraft off airport. Other then driving steel stakes to the ground I am wondering what others did to make tiedown flush with surface and strong enough to withstand a 30+ kts wind? I would like to install two sets of tie downs one over rocky surface and the second set on a clay/sand dirt. Would appreciate any advice and reference.

Hey pal, how about making some out of 5/8 or 3/4 inch rebar? Like they use at Kosh. Would require welding a loop near the driving end for the rope. Maybe 3-4’ long. Drive them into the ground with a sledge at a 60 degree angle. They work well at Kosh. Might not work so well in the rocky soil, but possibly in the clay. Going to be out that way soon.

Last edited:
Just me

Now that it is 100+ degrees outside, why not go for it? Dig a hole, pour in a bag of concrete with a rebar hook. Three bags per should be enough in a 1’ x 1’ x 2’ deep hole. Digging sure beats driving in a rod with a sledge hammer.

Hammer drill

Hi Vlad. Hope all is well. Miss you out East.

Just a thought.... For the rock: Rent a large hammer drill from
HD or local tool rental. Drill a hole and put in some expansion or epoxy set
Anchor bolts that are used for foundation anchors. Weld a ring on top.

For the hard soil. Rent a hole auger, pour some concrete and set the anchor/ring.

Al

Attachments

• 41D9D77C-56A4-495A-A86B-55A742A1B6D1.jpg
    41D9D77C-56A4-495A-A86B-55A742A1B6D1.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 262
The FAA publishes a document about tie downs that includes a couple of examples.
FAA AC 20-35C

Back