What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-made fibreglass?

Lufthans

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

Working on making my new-to-me RV3 presentable. One thing where it could do with improvement (understatement) is in the tips of the tail. They were made according to the original plans - foam blocks, sanded in shape and then laid over with one very thin layer of fibreglass. All very nice, but the way these were done doesn't look all that great.

I was wondering if this is still the way these are done, or are pre-made tips available?

Thanks

Hans

tail.png

Fiberglass

Looks to me that you have coroshion under the glass. So you may have a bigger problem then just looks. I would sand through that top layer and look round before ordering. You might have some sheatmetal repares needed, and it might be more efficient to build new. If you have coroshion there you probably have more outher places. Good luck.

Premade tips were included with my 2012 kit. The part numbers are (I think - some of these numbers came from the plans):

E-313
HS-312
R-306
R-309
VS-308

These are for the elevator, horizontal stabilizer, rudder and vertical stabilizer. My VAF blog describes some of the issues I've had with getting the elevator tips and horizontal stabilizer tips to fit.

There are different rudder bottom tips depending on whether you want one to fit a tail light or not. I don't know the respective part numbers.

Dave

Thanks guys.

So basically my options are to either make myself, or get crappy fitting stuff from Vans, which I'd have to modify myself anyway.

Guess I'll make some new ones myself then (and check for corrosion at the same time).

After making a carbon fiber body shell for this one (plus the rest of the car), how hard can it be? ;)

home-tweede.jpg

Thanks!

Hans, that's awesome! One off? Replica of something? I'm pretty jaded when it comes to cars, but that thing gets me excited.

Hans, that's awesome! One off? Replica of something? I'm pretty jaded when it comes to cars, but that thing gets me excited.

Thanks Dan,

Heavily inspired by 1950's Italian racers. It's got a Ferrari V12 engine in it. This is our prototype, we're hoping to start a small series production. Not easy at this point though, with potential customers not able to travel...

More pics here:

https://www.instagram.com/minottocars/

If making your own, be particularly careful with regard to weight "gain".

It can influence flutter properties.

I'm on a mission to make mine the lightest O-320 powered -3B I can make it. Starting point was good with 750 lbs. Already been able to shed 18 lbs by replacing the boat anchor starter and generator with automotive units (and some bracketry). So yeah, I'll keep them light :)

Last edited:
Thanks Dan,

Heavily inspired by 1950's Italian racers. It's got a Ferrari V12 engine in it. This is our prototype, we're hoping to start a small series production. Not easy at this point though, with potential customers not able to travel...

Need a US distributor? I know about little about the car business...;)

Back