What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rod End Bolt Pliers

wirejock

Well Known Member
My cuss jar keeps filling up installing the control surface rod end bolts. I'm working on tips so they go on and off a few times. I decided to modifiy a set of pliers so they won't slip off the bolt. I have serveral pairs of these tiny lineman needle nose. A little heat and a squeeze around a 3/16" rod and they grip the bolt.
ZvnKGeAm.jpg

Nasmdyem.jpg

Last edited:
I did the same thing with some hemostat forceps, they will lock onto the bolt. I found them at a local hardware store.

Temporary pins

One of the advertisers here sells a temporary pin for just this type of thing. It's a 3/16 rod, with a bend of about 120 degrees & a threaded end on the bend. You use a female threaded bar as a handle to hold the pin, push it into place, then unthread the handle piece. I got these after doing much cussing like Larry while fitting the rudder to VS for work on the tips.

+1 for the hemostat. I have bin using them for 40+ years and have several sets. Short medium and long, strate and bent. Grate fore getting washers, spacers, bolts, even cotter-pins, in tight places. I have even used them for tying wire harness. Really grate fore any place you can?t get your fat fingers. Ok mine aren?t fat there just big boned. Lol

Back