What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SHORT STRIPS

Just wonderig if anyone has any pictures and information about any short strips they may operate off on a regular basis.

I've just bought a farm and can get a 2000' strip on it however there are 50' tree's at one end right on the boundry and a small fence at the other.

I haven't finished building the my -8 yet so I'm not really sure about actual performance. I have looked at published figures hwever I always take them with a pinch of salt.

Any photo's, info etc will be appreciated.

I intend the -8 to have a C/S 200hp with MT Prop (budget permtting :confused: )

2000 feet is plenty

I operate off of 2600' that is very rough on one end, so I only use about half of it.

Takeoff is typically 300' or less, landing always well under 1000' on the smooth end.

2000' is plenty of room for an RV. I'd confidently operate from 800' with a bit of practice.

Sorry, no photo, but you get the idea.

ShortStop Airfield (8TA5)

Check out airnav.com. There is a picture of my 1500' strip. I've been flying off it since 1990. It has clear approaches both ends.

900ft usable at my friend. Personally I only use it when the winds are zero or from the back in the pic since I am not sure I would clear the trees at the end taking of towards them (I got a fixed pitch prop..). Coming in over the trees it is hard to loose enough altitude but in case of trouble it is a simple go-around since it is a clear approach from the other side. This strip should only be half the size of yours and with a CSP RV-8 I would say yours is just fine.

My home base is normally about 1600-1700x40 feet uneven grass with troubled approches. From one side bushes and it slopes. From the other end a power lines. Approaching from that end is easier but the usual wind dictates approach over the bushes.
Right now because of flooding it is limited to 1100ft but since the parts flooded matches the parts I don't usually can use because of the obstructions that is not really a problem.

Personally I find free approaches more important then field length with the RV. I am not fond of side slipping at low altitude so I easily pick up too much speed passing over obstacles. With a CSP acting as a airbrake your problem with that would be less.

For me the limiting factor is what I safely can take off from. With your specs anything you can land in you "should" be ok. I would say that the RV won't limit you, it is what you are comfortable and safe with as a pilot.

Last edited:
2000' grass..

When I built 1E6 three years ago, it was 75' x 2000' with a road & 40' power cables on the North end and 75' Pines on the South end. I operated a Cessna 150 with a very weak 100HP out of it without any problem.
I have since buried the power lines and dropped 500' of the trees just to add comfort to other pilots that operate normally on longer paved strips. ;)
The RV that you're speaking of will only use a portion of your strip.

However, take this advice for what it's worth.
The WIDER and LONGER you can make it, the better it is overall.
Mine is also on my farm, so land access was not an issue.
Also, a drag blade can work wonders on smoothing/ditching the runway prior to grassing. A small investment with HUGE ongoing returns. (very nosewheel friendly). On final note.. considering it's a 'farm strip', you may wish to take added precautions to keep 'vehicles' off the runway. I had a difficult time keeping 'night hunters' from driving on it while spotting deer. (they created undesirable ruts). I can't mention what I did to cure it but, the problem abruptly stopped.
Good luck with the strip.. :)

Thanks for the info and photo's. They are appreciated. My mind has been put at ease. I'll definately be getting a grater or drag blade to do a couple of runs before we seed the grass as I think this is an excellent idea.

Safe flying.

Last edited:
Be careful....

Steve Sampson said:
An -8 correctly flown should get into your strip easily. You can see my strip here.

Hi Andy,
I give a lot of transition training and many of the guys come in too fast. That's OK to begin with but it uses over 2000' easily, this with a FP prop. I have to advise, that you practice short field landings elsewhere with more runway until you can comfortably land in under 1000-1500 feet. An RV is capable of landing on a 1000' strip with a good approach and I've done it but your short field technique absolutely has to be precise. Many RV's have also been busted up or run off a short strip into trees, so take some of this advice for what it's worth.

Kind regards,
Pierre

Back