What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Will contact with automatic transmission fluid harm aircraft tires?

Moondog

Well Known Member
Could not move my build project into my hangar because of ATF residue on the hangar floor.

The previous occupant had a container of ATF that leaked from a stored container onto the concrete floor when he was vacating the hangar. The airport crew cleaned it up, but a substantial residue covers about 400 sf in the middle of the hangar. I put some green absorbent stuff down, but it didn?t help.

Next step is to power wash. I'm not on wheels yet, but won't move if there is a chance the ATF might harm the tires.

Thanks in advance,
David

Try dawn dish soap, scrubbed in with a broom and power washed out. If that doesn't work, try a vinegar and ammonia mixture and soak it for several hours.

I've found cat liter to be one of the best absorbents for cleaning concrete, but it must be "natural" cat liter made from clay.
After all other efforts, finish up with muratic acid. I think it's muratic. Research to be sure.

Whenever I have an oil spill on the concrete, I wipe up all excess with paper towels and then put Gojo down liberally and then take a stiff bristle brush and scrub. Rinse with water. Always does a good job.

When I spill any petroleum liquid on the floor in the garage I use alchohol to clean it up. I don't know if this is right, not only am I not a chemist, but I don't play one on TV and didn't stay in a Holiday Inn, but it seems to work.

Tim

My hangar has asphalt floor with many decades of "mystery liquids" soaked deep into it. I put 2x2' squares of 6061 sheet under the tires.

Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or plywood) between the tire and the storage surface.

They also state that "road oil will cause deterioration of the rubber". This is any petroleum product, silicone or alcohol.

I like a cleaner called Oil-Eater which works well for me and is pretty environmentally benign.

I would think the floor would have to be wet with ATF to cause much issue, but I get the concern. I'd recommend first trying a detergent. I was once facing having to replace a section of driveway due to significant hydraulic fluid spill (neighbor, long story). Many things were tried with partial success, until using a strong detergent. Purple Power was the brand I used at the time. Pour it on undiluted (wear eye protection). Sweep it around with a broom (work it). Let it sit 30 mins or so. Pressure wash it off. Repeat as necessary. Hot water works better.

Last edited:
cat litter

Cat litter (or oil dry granules - same stuff I believe) works well, especially if you scrub it in with a piece of 2x4. Scrub it in and sweep it up. Concrete looks almost new after.

Back