What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Poll: Your average engine oil usage hrs/quart

Engine oil usage hours / quart

• <4 hrs

Votes: 18 6.1%
  • 5-6 hrs

Votes: 29 9.8%
  • 7-8 hrs

Votes: 59 19.9%
  • 9-10 hrs

Votes: 37 12.5%
  • 11-15 hrs

Votes: 67 22.6%
  • 16-20 hrs

Votes: 42 14.2%
  • >20 hrs

Votes: 44 14.9%

• Total voters

BigglesRV7A

Well Known Member
Looking to see what everyone's experience is with their engine oil usage between changes on 320/360 engines.

There are many posts with varied numbers and thought it may be fruitful for operators like myself to see what is normal or average. I have an IO-360 ECI engine with nickel carbide cylinders and consistently use a quart every 8 hours.

Last edited:
Do they do pints down under?

I'm pretty sure they do, I've heard Aussies tend to like their beer.:)

But anyhoo, an interesting poll/thread as I've been seeing my oil usage trend a wee bit higher; until recently my average was 9-10 hrs per quart, but lately I'm seeing roughly 7 hrs per.

My engine is a O-360-A1D, 1220 SMOH using Lycoming cylinders overhauled by ECI with their Cerminil process in 2005. I'm not sure if I should be really bothered by it or not as I recall a thread posted by Paul Dye 3+ years ago; he had the same cylinders with increasing oil consumption and decreasing compression at 1450 hrs, ended up replacing all 4 jugs. Rocketbob responded with some info that was new to me; Cerminil, chrome or nickle carbide jugs will all use more oil than standard steel because the bores are so smooth. I haven't checked my compressions since last May, gotta get on that during my next oil change.

So for now my plan is too keep on running with 'em, watch my oil usage trends but also keep a closer eye on my compressions. Perhaps there are new jugs in my future, but at my current low utilization rate, I (hopefully) have a few years to run yet.

I wonder to what extent the responses are skewed by air/oil seperators returning oil to the crankcase? I don't have one, but I believe most of my lost oil goes out the breather tube.

Based on maintaining what oil level? 6 qts?

Looking to see what everyone's experience is with their engine oil usage between changes on 320/360 engines.

There are many posts with varied numbers and thought it may be fruitful for operators like myself to see what is normal or average. I have an IO-360 ECI engine with nickel carbide cylinders and consistently use a quart every 8 hours.

Over 100 responses and counting

With over 100 responses now to the poll there are some interesting trends evident. Of course many factors affect oil usage including initial engine break-in, types of cylinders, type of oil used, what level you run in your engine, do you have an air oil separator, how old is your engine, how do you fly it etc......!
At the end of the day looks like my 8 hours per quart is a little on the low side compared with most other owners. Will have to explore whether it is something wrong or just "normal" for my engine.:confused:

Didn't vote. After 3 yrs flying, my trends indicate that I consume more oil at hot summer OATs, CHTS, OTs then in the colder winter. Also, changing the outlet angle on my breather tube seemed to lower consumption as well.

I only have 83 hours on my O-320, bought new from Vans. It has only needed the addition of 200ml of oil twice, between changes. Your quart is approximately an Aussie litre, which is 1000ml.
My consumption seems to me to be extremely low and I just wonder if it can be too low.

30 hours per quart (1-2 quarts between oil changes at 40 hours)
700 hours on IO-360 since purchased from Aerosport Power
No oil separator
maintain 6-7 quarts (6 in engine plus what's in oil filter, oil cooler and hoses)

159 respondents so far

Thank you to everyone that has already responded to our poll so far. Out of many thousands of RV's flying it is still a rather small number that have kindly posted their usage. The more that contribute the more meaningful the numbers are.

Thanks for your time Ladies and Gentleman and let's get your oil usage fed into the poll if you haven't already done so.:)

Oil Consumption

RV-9A with factory new 0-360 from Vans, now have 300 hours. If oil level is maintained at 6qts. it will take one qt. about every 15 hours.
Previous RV-6 had field overhauled 0-360 A1F6D that I ran almost 1000 hours and it was remarkably the same. Only if you try to keep level at 8 qtrs.. does it appear to use excessive oil. I think the Owners Manual indicates minimum safe operating level is 2 qtrs.. :eek: Don't think I would try to operate on that intentionally.

Oil usage

Most Lycoming engines I have operated required a minimum of 2 3/4 quarts of oil. I was surprised to find that my IO-360 exp M1B had a minimum oil level of 4 quarts. Quite a difference! This leaves only 2 quarts between the usual six quarts at the start of the flight and the minimum, and could be significant on a long overwater flight. There's my excuse for never doing one!

Aerosport Power IO 320 D2A, Millenium cylinders, with 270 hrs on it. Consistently burns a quart every 30 to 35 hrs, maintaining the level at 6qt. As is predictable, at that low rate there is seldom any notable oil on the belly. All oil tests from Blackstone are stellar.
I run LOP Almost all the time. Because that results in lower CHTs and oil temp, I think that contributes to my low oil consumption.

I wonder how the poll results are inaccurate because it first said hours per pint, which I took to mean half quart, and entered my data accordingly.

Thank you

You are correct Jesse. This error on my part was updated within a short while and given there were very few responses at the time I believe over 95% of respondents would have seen the 'quart' and used this as their usage volume.

My bad though still think the figures are valuable in at least seeing where our engines are in terms of average usage. I note you are an accountant so no doubt you can work the numbers better than me though looks to be a solid average from 8 to 20 plus hours give or take.

Interesting there is such a variance.

Kind regards :)

I'm curious what you're trying to learn here...there is so much variation in the source of the data (different engines, different variations on engines, different climates, different ways of flying, different ages of engines, etc.) that it's hard to see how any of this data is useful...

I run a O-360 A4A with about 400h on the meter.
It consumes 1qtr/2.5h which I find to be remarkably high.
Actually, it is on the limit also according to the Lycoming manual, as I run it on average below 30lph.

I fill a qtr when it is down to 5, so I never exceed 6qtrs.

Now, I assume there is an issue with the engine.
What do you think can cause a too high oil consumption? What should I check first?

20-25

We run an IOX-360 ECI with 9:1 "Nic. Carb." cylinders. Strait out vent tube. Close to 250 hr. on it now form new. For locale flights we keep 6 quarts as a gage, add at 4-4.5 and if going to say KOSH 682 Nm. none stop, we add up to the 7 quart level. Yes the crank-case draft will blow the 8th. quart out fairly quick. We fly all kinds of different formats Hard and soft. Got to get the most out of our bucks. Hope this helps. Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
49clipper

O-320-D1A with 530+ hrs and change oil and filter every 25 hrs (sometimes i run over to 29). Why, just because. I add six at change and never have had to add. I "would" add at five, but its never happened yet. it will use 'maybe' 1/2-3/4 quart in 25.

Thanks for the poll, interesting results.

I do not have enough hours to perfect the data accumulation yet so did not add to the poll. (53)

I had the chance to acquire data from a few dozed lab engines running a specific cycle, and they were more consistent than the poll. Field results show why a manufacturer would not dare publish a specification for oil usage!!

So far I have seen significant effects (using straight weight) between ambient temperature starts and pre-heated starts, even at the same general ambient temperatures. My theory was in only an hour flight, the high viscosity when cold allowed the settled oil in the cylinders to allow some ring floating and biased the at temp operation so it used more. Just a theory (a guess really), but this was flight to flight.

A consistent drain back condition will make a difference too. After three days there is always more oil in the sump.

I am thinking that total use between oil changes is likely the best measure. Only add oil based on checking before the next flight. Add to a data table, so long term averages can be used.

My plane does have the 1/2 Raven, and leaves the belly relatively clean. A crankcase dryer is used every flight.

Chrome Cylinders

I have a mid-time 0320 with chrome lined cylinders, no oil separator and 70+ compression. I buy a case of oil every 50 hours. I put 7 qts in at oil change time and use up the other 5 qts by about the time I need another oil change. I don't add until I get down to 6qts. So, I think I'm getting about 10 hrs per qt. I'll probably install and ASA oil separator during next annual. John

Last edited:
O-320-D1A with 530+ hrs and change oil and filter every 25 hrs (sometimes i run over to 29). Why, just because. I add six at change and never have had to add. I "would" add at five, but its never happened yet. it will use 'maybe' 1/2-3/4 quart in 25.
I've got the same engine with 300 hours and have similar consumption. It varies a little depending on how hard I run it. Half-hour breakfast runs? Typically 2400-2500 rpm or so. Going to Osh? 2700 rpm all day long. I usually top it off to keep at 6 qts, so it's difficult to track consumption accurately when I'm adding just a little here and there.

Back