What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Priming Quickbuilds

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Curious what others have done with their quickbuild Fuselage and wings. My understanding is Vans uses the Sherman Williams primer wash on all their current quickbuilds. Are most builders leaving it with that or are they over-spraying accessible areas with something else?

Currently using AKZO on my RV-10 Empennage build. My thought is the interior of the fuselage might benefit with a few thin coats of it as well. Not finalized but my entire interior will probably be covered with upholstery or plastics.

There's a reason why primers are in the "Never Ending Debates" section.... ;)

Lots of opinions, here is a data point:

Quick Build -8, almost eleven years old, built in the garage level of a house on the water near Galveston Bay (not long after the airplane moved out, the house was IN the water...that's how close it was to salt). Based on the Gulf Coast for eight years of its life. No corrosion found on any interior surfaces during any condition inspection.

Just giving one data point.

Yah carefully asked it here instead of in the RV-10 section.

Sorry about your house getting flooded... least you had your plane build by then.

Looking at the pictures of the plane it looks like you painted the interior, or is that how it comes from Vans? Cause that's another thought, just painting the entire interior a neutral color and use less plastic..

Sw

Lots of opinions, here is a data point:

Quick Build -8, almost eleven years old, built in the garage level of a house on the water near Galveston Bay (not long after the airplane moved out, the house was IN the water...that's how close it was to salt). Based on the Gulf Coast for eight years of its life. No corrosion found on any interior surfaces during any condition inspection.

Just giving one data point.

I'd say that's a +1 for SW P60G2 but I'm biased cuz that's what I sprayed on every part.:D

Sorry about your house getting flooded... least you had your plane build by then.

Looking at the pictures of the plane it looks like you painted the interior, or is that how it comes from Vans? Cause that's another thought, just painting the entire interior a neutral color and use less plastic..

The house wasn't a problem - it wasn't mine by that time! :)

I painted the cockpit with rattle can, like I do all my airplanes, just for appearance sake - but the interior of the tailcone and wings (the QB parts) were just left alone.

Primer on QB

I scuffed the inside of my fuselage with scotch brite and a wash cleaner, rinsed well with RO water. Primed with PPG two part epoxy. Light coat in the tail cone, heavier coat in the passenger and baggage areas for good appearance. Much more durable than the Sherman Williams was primer for the heavy wear areas. Doubt that it adds much protection from corrosion, but it looks good!

I had quite a few patches of corrosion come through on the bottom skins inside my 2009 QB fuselage, but it might have been a preparation/primer issue at the factory for those particular skins as the rest of the fuse wasn't affected.
I scuffed and primed over the SW wash with a 2k primer for peace of mind. The whole fuse interior only took a day to do. Well worth the effort I think?
Cheers,
Hugh

Cause that's another thought, just painting the entire interior a neutral color and use less plastic..
That's the route I went. JetFlex gray/beige with some minimal upholstery (seats, armrests) and carpet (footwells and baggage area). I like the painted metal & cloth route, as it just seems true to its homebuilt nature.

Back