What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adjustable rudder pedals

Capt

Well Known Member
Hi guys.
Question to builders of an 8.
I have an 8 with the sliding Fwd rudder pedals and the vertical bracket that holds the rod on which the pedals adjust along has one lose AN bolt that I can't tighten to the floor. Seeing as there is no access to under that part of the cockpit floor how are the nuts secured during a build? I don't see any rivets securing a nut plate as the floor is heavily painted.

Thanks.

I don't have a RV8, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly, but could it be a riv-nut?

nutplates

There are a couple of nutplates in there. You could get to them by drilling out the exhaust ramp or the bit of metal between the two gear legs - I can't recall if they are accessible in there, but can check if needed - I made that part removable on mine.

There are two nutplates under the floor. This is the 8A model, but it is the same for the 8. If it is stripped, that will be difficult to get to. You might have to cut and access hole in the floor in front of the bracket. (You would need to remove the rudder pedal assembly.)

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 300
Okay thanks guys. Appreciate the drawing fl-mike :)
I think the thread might be stripped, I'll run a tap thru it to see if I can restore the thread a little.
What a horrible position to access, at my advanced age and old bones I'll need a chiropractor!:)

Nut Plates

I did a write up with photos on how to install a nut plate in hard to reach area. You could remove the old nut plate by drilling out the retaining rivets, oversizing the bolt hole and sliding another one into place. Take a look at my thread on nut plates and dental floss.

go in from the bottom

Okay thanks guys. Appreciate the drawing fl-mike :)
I think the thread might be stripped, I'll run a tap thru it to see if I can restore the thread a little.
What a horrible position to access, at my advanced age and old bones I'll need a chiropractor!:)
You can go in from the bottom - might be easier.

I am not at the Hgr and don't have my drawings handy, are you talking about the forward two bolts against the firewall or the aft two bolts the go in to the floor?

If it is a forward bolt (passing horizontally through the firewall) that should be a relatively simple fix. Drill out the rivets holding the plate nut and clean out from behind the bulge in the cooling ramp. Install a new plate nut using pull rivets from the cockpit side. I would ask Van's if they had any issue or suggestions with that first though. It is the firewall after all. Kind of critical.

If it is an aft bolt (passing vertically through the floor) then it might be simplest to replace the plate nut with a rivnut. 95% sure those plate nuts are enclosed by the cooling ramp so getting access to the back side is difficult.

All will require you to be a contortionist. Any chance you can get an elevated work platform against the fuselage and then remove the forward baggage floor? Might make things a bit simpler. Might.

Back