What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety pilot for Instrument currency in RV8

Airzen

Well Known Member
Hi all,

Can a private pilot, with current medical and appropriate currency in make and model, act as a safety pilot for a flight in visual conditions?

The goal of the flight is instrument currency for PIC (under the hood) and the flight is VFR only.

Here is the kicker:

The aircraft is RV8 and does not have rudder pedals or throttle in the back seat. Thus the safety pilot can only control pitch and roll from the back seat (which should be enough for preventing collisions, deviations etc.).

Ashish

I don't see why not.

I would slide the seat back to avoid any rudder pedal conflicts.

As these were approaches, I really didn't have access to the throttle either.

I figured I'd be in control only long enough for the leaf-seater to dump the hood.

No, not legally.
Currency in make and model is not required, as he is not PIC. He needs to be a private (or higher) pilot, single engine land.
But the FARs require fully functioning controls for both pilots (with an exception for throw over wheels). I?d say that means rudder and throttle are needed in the back. In addition, there must be ?adequate? forward visibility for the safety pilot.
In a practical sense, I?d be more concerned about the forward visibility.

91.109(c) speaks to civil aircraft being operated in simulated instrument flight.
91.109(c)(1)(i) says the safety pilot must be a PPL with category & class ratings.
91.109(c)(2) says the safety pilot must have adequate vision forward.
91.109(c)(3) says the safety pilot must have fully functioning dual controls with relief for throw over yokes.

I am not making any commitment one way or another regarding what defines adequate forward vision or fully functional dual controls. Just making the point out to where the information can be found.

Last edited:
Flight Review?

How do RV-8 / RV-4 owners get their flight reviews done?

As per 91.109 it appears those cannot be legally completed unless the aircraft is equipped with dual controls.

(BTW, does someone have a clear definition of dual-controls?)

As per 91.109 it appears those cannot be legally completed unless the aircraft is equipped with dual controls.

91.109(b) specifically mentions ?dual rudder controls? for flight reviews. To answer your question, they probably have friendly cfi?s who look the other way. Or they do it in a rental.

There is an interpritation from 2009 that answers your question.
Essentially you need all three axis plus easy access to the power controls but brakes are not required.

Remember, some tandem RVs do have rear seat rudder pedals.

Of course, this brought up my next thought, does a flight review fall under "instruction" and would be governed by 91.109 or does it fall under a "practical test" and would be governed by 61.45. I lean towards it not being a practical test because 61.45 specifically calls out for a rating or certificate, but is a flight review considered instruction?

Last edited:
91.109(b) specifically calls for rudder pedals for both pilots when conducting a flight review, so I agree, a flight review falls under the instruction rules.

I added the optional rear seat rudder pedals and throttle during my rv8 build for this very reason. My instructor (experienced rv pilot) is comfortable with the rear seat visibility.

Back